American Political-Party Affiliation as a Predictor of Usage of an Adultery Website
The more politically conservative Americans are, the more restrictive their sexual attitudes are. A natural follow-up question is how this difference in attitudes relates to actual behavior. But self-reports of sexual behavior may be compromised by a social desirability bias that is influenced by the very sexual attitudes at issue. We employed a non-self-reported measure of sexual behavior: usage of the adultery-focused dating website Ashley Madison. Linking an August 2015 leak of user data from Ashley Madison to 2012 voter registration rolls from five U.S. states, we found 80,000 matches between 200,000 Ashley Madison user accounts and 50 million voters. According to simple rates in the sample, and also to predictively validated regression models controlling for state, gender, and age, we found that Democrats were least likely to use Ashley Madison, Libertarians were most likely, and Republicans, Greens, and unaffiliated voters were in between. Our results provide support for theories arguing that people with stricter sexual attitudes are paradoxically more likely to engage in deviant sexual behavior.
KeywordsAdultery Online dating Political-party affiliation Democratic Party Republican Party
This project was supported by the National Institute of Mental Health (T32MH109205).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Both authors are registered to vote as Democrats. The authors declare that they have no other potential conflicts of interest.
- Adorno, T. W., Frenkel-Brunswik, E., Levinson, D. J., & Sanford, R. N. (1950). The authoritarian personality. New York, NY: Harper.Google Scholar
- Apfelbaum, B. (1984, November). Sexual reality and how we dismiss it. Paper presented at the meeting of the American Association of the Advancement of Science, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20010627190317|http://www.bapfelbaumphd.com/Sexual_Reality.html.
- Arfer, K. B. (2016). Diversity of sexual practices is not bad. In Empirical sexual attitudes. Los Angeles, CA: Author. Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://arfer.net/w/esa/practices.
- Biddle, S. (2015, August 19). What’s actually inside the nightmare Ashley Madison leak. Gawker. Retrieved from http://gawker.com/1725077740.
- Blevins, C., & Mullen, L. (2015). Jane, John… Leslie? A historical method for algorithmic gender prediction. Digital Humanities Quarterly, 9. Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/9/3/000223/000223.html.
- Brier, G. W. (1950). Verification of forecasts expressed in terms of probability. Monthly Weather Review, 78, 1–3. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1950)078<0001:VOFEIT>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fried, J. (2008). Democrats and Republicans—rhetoric and reality: Comparing the voters in statistics and anecdotes. New York, NY: Algora.Google Scholar
- Gallup, G. H., Jr. (2003). Current views on premarital, extramarital sex. Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://www.gallup.com/poll/8704/x.aspx.
- Geuss, M. (2016, December 14). Hacked cheating site Ashley Madison will pay $1.6 million to FTC for breach. Ars Technica. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20161214/https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/12/hacked.
- Grieser, W. D., Kapadia, N., Li, R., & Simonov, A. (2016). Fifty shades of corporate culture. Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://ssrn.com/abstract=2741049.
- Griffin, J. M., Kruger, S. A., & Maturana, G. (2016). Do personal ethics influence corporate ethics? Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://ssrn.com/abstract=2745062.
- Independence Party of New York. (2014). About/Legislative Agenda|Independence Party of New York State. Retrieved from http://web.archive.org/web/20141106202740/http://www.nyindependenceparty.com/agenda.
- Lamont, T. (2016, February 27). Life after the Ashley Madison affair. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/28/what-happened-after-ashley-madison-was-hacked.
- McArdle, J. (2007, August 27). Craig arrested, pleads guilty following incident in airport restroom. Roll Call. Retrieved from http://web.archive.org/web/20150908081135/http://www.rollcall.com/news/-19763-1.html.
- Paton, C. (2015, August 24). Ashley Madison hack list: How to download and search leaked adultery website database email addresses. International Business Times. Retrieved from http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/1516808.
- Pew Research Center. (2009). Trends in political values and core attitudes: 1987–2009. Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://www.people-press.org/2009/05/21/independents-take-center-stage-in-obama-era.
- Pew Research Center. (2015). A deep dive into party affiliation: Sharp differences by race, gender, generation, education. Retrieved May 30, 2018 from http://www.gallup.com/poll/8704/x.aspx.
- Prince, S. J. (2015, August 19). Where can I find Ashley Madison data? Heavy. Retrieved from http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/how-to-download-ashley-madison-full-email-list-dump-torrent.
- Steel, E., & Schmidt, M. S. (2017, April 19). Bill O’Reilly is forced out at Fox News. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/business/media/bill-oreilly-fox-news-allegations.html.
- United States Census Bureau. (2012). Table 1. Annual estimates of the population for the United States, regions, states, and Puerto Rico: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012 (NST-EST2012-01). Retrieved May 30, 2018 from https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/tables/2010-2012/state/totals/nst-est2012-01.xls.
- Victor, D. (2015, August 19). The Ashley Madison data dump, explained. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/20/technology/the-ashley-madison-data-dump-explained.html.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Lee, S. E. (2000). The relationship of authoritarianism and related constructs to attitudes toward homosexuality. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 30, 144–170. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2000.tb02309.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar