Sexual Orientation and Behavior of Adult Jews in Israel and the Association With Risk Behavior
- 339 Downloads
Estimating the size of key risk groups susceptible to HIV/sexually transmitted diseases (STI) is necessary for establishment of interventions and budget allocation. This study aimed to identify various dimensions of sexual orientation and practices in Israel, and correlate the findings with sexual risk behavior (SRB). It used a random representative sample of the Jewish population aged 18–44 years who completed online questionnaires regarding their self-identified sexual orientation, attraction and practices, and SRB. Concordant heterosexuals were those who self-reported heterosexual identity, were attracted and had sex only with the opposite gender. National estimates regarding prevalence of gay, lesbian, and bisexual men and women were based on the civil census. The sample included 997 men and 1005 women, of whom 11.3 and 15.2 % were attracted to the same-gender, 10.2 and 8.7 % reported lifetime same-gender encounters, while 8.2 and 4.8 % self-identified as gay or bisexual men and lesbian or bisexual women, respectively. The estimated population of self-identified Jewish gay or bisexual men and lesbian or bisexual women aged 18–44 in Israel was 94,176, and 57,671, respectively. SRB was more common among self-identified gays or bisexual men and among discordant heterosexual men and women. Those who reported same-gender sexual practices reported greater SRB than those who only had opposite-gender encounters. Interestingly, SRB among discordant heterosexuals was associated with same-sex behavior rather than attraction. Health practitioners should increase their awareness of sexual diversity among their clientele, and should recognize that risk for HIV/STI may exist among self-identified heterosexuals, who may not disclose their actual sexual attraction or practices.
KeywordsBisexual Gay men Lesbians Sexual orientation Israel
- Austin, S. B., Roberts, A. L., Corliss, H. L., & Molnar, B. E. (2008). Sexual violence victimization history and sexual risk indicators in a community-based urban cohort of “mostly heterosexual” and heterosexual young women. American Journal of Public Health, 98(6), 1015–1020.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Baral, S. D., Friedman, M. R., Geible, S., Rebe, K., Bozhinov, B., Doiouf, D., … Caceres, C. F. (2015). Male sex workers: Practices, contexts, and vulnerabilities for HIV acquisition and transmission. The Lancet, 385(9964), 260–273.Google Scholar
- Brosh-Nissimov, T., Mor, Z., Avramovich, E., Katchman, E., Avidor, B., Mor, O., & Turner, D. (2012). Syphilis outbreak among men who have sex with men in Tel Aviv, Israel, 2008–2010. Israeli Medical Association Journal, 14(2), 152–156.Google Scholar
- Dodge, B., Schnarrs, P. W., Reece, M., Concalves, G., Martinez, O., Nix, R., … Fortenberry, J. D. (2012). Community involvement among behaviourally bisexual men in the Midwestern USA: Experiences and perceptions across communities. Culture Health & Sexuality, 14(9), 1095–1110.Google Scholar
- Ellen, J. M., Greenberg, L., Willard, N., Stines, S., Korelitz, J., Boyer, C. B., & Adolescent Medicine Trials Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions. (2015). Cross-sectional survey comparing HIV risk behaviors of adolescent and young adult men who have sex with men only and men who have sex with men and women in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 91(6), 458–461. doi: 10.1136/sextrans-2014-051712.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gattis, M. N., Sacco, P., & Cunningham-Williams, R. M. (2012). Substance use and mental health disorders among heterosexual identified men and women who have same-sex partners or same-sex attraction: Results from the national epidemiological survey on alcohol and related conditions. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 41, 1185–1197.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., & Martin, C. E. (1948). Sexual behavior in the human male. Philadelphia: Saunders.Google Scholar
- Lhomond, B., Saurel-Cubizolle, M. J., Michaels, S. M., & CSF Group. (2014). A multidimensional measure of sexual orientation, use of psychoactive substances and depression: Results of a national survey on sexual behavior in France. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 607–619.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mor, Z., Shohat, T., Goor, Y., & Dan, M. (2012). Risk behavior and sexually transmitted diseases in gay and heterosexual men attending an STD clinic in Tel Aviv, Israel: A cross sectional study. Israeli Medical Association Journal, 14(3), 147–151.Google Scholar
- Mravcak, S. A. (2006). Primary care for lesbians and bisexual women. American Academy of Family Physicians, 74, 279–286.Google Scholar
- Purcell, D. W., Johnson, C. H., Landky, A., Prejean, J., Stein, R., Denning, P., … Crepaz, N. (2012). Estimating the size of men who have sex with men in the United States to obtain HIV and syphilis rates. The Open AIDS Journal, 6(Suppl. 1:M6), 98–107.Google Scholar
- Richter, J., Badcock, P. B., Simpson, J. M., Shellard, D., Rissel, C., de Visser, R. O., … Smith, M. A. (2014). Design and methods of the second Australian study of health and relationships. Sexual Health, 11, 383–396.Google Scholar
- Rosario, M., Schrimshaw, E. W., & Hunter, J. (2006). A model of sexual risk behaviors among young gay and bisexual men: Longitudinal associations of mental health, substance abuse, sexual abuse, and the coming-out process. AIDS Education and Prevention, 18, 444–460.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ward, B. W., Dahlhamer, J. M., Galinsky, A. M., & Joestl, S. S. (2014). Sexual orientation and health among U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2013. National Health State Reports, 77, 1–10.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2013a). Report on global transmitted infection surveillance 2013. Geneva, Switzerland. Available on: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/112922/1/9789241507400_eng.pdf.
- World Health Organization. (2013b). UNAIDS report on the global AIDS Epidemic 2013. Geneva, Switzerland. Available on: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/epidemiology/2013/gr2013/UNAIDS_Global_Report_2013_en.pdf.