Same Data, Different Perspectives: What Is at Stake? Response to Savin-Williams and Joyner (2014a)
- 358 Downloads
The authors thank the Boston Children’s Hospital Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) working group for their help in formulating these ideas and S. Bryn Austin and Stephen T. Russell for their comments on an earlier version of this response.
- Austin, S. B., Ziyadeh, N. J., Corliss, H. L., Rosario, M., Wypij, D., Haines, J., … Field, A. E. (2009). Sexual orientation disparities in purging and binge eating from early to late adolescence. Journal of Adolescent Health, 45, 238–245. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.02.001.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Diamond, L. M. (2008). Sexual fluidity: Understanding women’s love and desire. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Feintzeig, R. (2014). Why gay workers decide to stay in the closet: Employers are more supportive than ever, but some workers still worry about negative perceptions. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304163604579531893392671188.
- Institute of Medicine. (2011). The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- Li, G., Katz-Wise, S. L., & Calzo, J. P. (2014). The unjustified doubt of Add Health studies on the health disparities of non-heterosexual adolescents: Comment on Savin-Williams and Joyner (2014) [Letter to the Editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 1023–1026. doi:10.1007/s10508-014-0313-3.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marshal, M. P., Dietz, L. J., Friedman, M. S., Stall, R., Smith, H. A., McGinley, J., … Brent, D. A. (2011). Suicidality and depression disparities between sexual minority and heterosexual youth: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Adolescent Health, 49, 115–123. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.02.005.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Movement Advance Project. (2010). Improving the lives of LGBT older adults. Denver: Movement Advance Project.Google Scholar