Finnish Women and Men Who Self-Report No Sexual Attraction in the Past 12 Months: Prevalence, Relationship Status, and Sexual Behavior History
- 728 Downloads
The aim of the present study was to investigate the prevalence of not reporting sexual attraction in the past year and its associations with factors related to partner relations as well as sexuality-related characteristics in a population-based sample of Finnish twins. The present study was based on a total of 3,540 participants (1,304 men and 2,236 women) aged 33–43 years. A total of 19 men and 73 women reported complete absence of sexual interest in women or men during the past year. Older age was associated with absence of sexual interest in the past year in women, but not men. Individuals who reported absence of sexual interest in the past year were more likely than individuals who reported sexual interest to be single, but those who were in a relationship did not express more dissatisfaction with their relationships. Individuals who reported absence of sexual interest in the past year had had fewer sexual partners and reported less experience of sexual behavior in childhood. Women who reported no sexual interest in the past year, but who were nevertheless sexually active, reported higher frequencies of sexual dysfunctions than matched controls. No significant differences regarding the tendency to fake orgasm were found between the sexually active individuals who reported absence of sexual interest in the past year and the group of matched controls. The present study suggests that absence of sexual interest may be a lifelong phenomenon which does not necessarily affect relationship satisfaction, but is associated with variation in sexual behaviors.
KeywordsAsexuality Relationship status Relationship satisfaction Sexual desire Sexual characteristics Hypoactive sexual desire disorder
This research was financed by Grant No. 210198 from the Academy of Finland and a Center of Excellence Grant No. 21/22/05 from the Stiftelsen för Åbo Akademi Foundation.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Desk reference to the diagnostic criteria from DSM-5. Arlington, VA: Author.Google Scholar
- Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN). (2008). Retrieved March 1, 2012, from http://www.asexuality.org/home/overview.html.
- Bogaert, A. F. (2008). Asexuality: Dysfunction or variation? In J. M. Caroll & M. K. Alena (Eds.), Psychological sexual dysfunctions (pp. 9–13). New York: Nova Biomedical Books.Google Scholar
- DePaulo, B. (2009, December 23). ASEXUALS: Who are they and why are they important? [Web log post]. Retrieved February 29, 2012, from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/living-single/200912/asexuals-who-are-they-and-why-are-they-important.
- Jern, P. (2009). Premature and delayed ejaculation: Prevalence, heredity and diagnostic considerations. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Abo Akademi University, Turku, Finland.Google Scholar
- Jern, P., Santtila, P., Johansson, A., Varjonen, M., Witting, K., Algars, M., et al. (2008). Indicators of premature ejaculation and their associations with sexual distress in a population-based sample of young twins and their siblings. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 5, 2191–2201.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Johnson, M. T. (1977). Asexual and autoerotic women: Two invisible groups. In H. L. Gochros & J. S. Gochros (Eds.), The sexually oppressed (pp. 96–109). New York: Associated Press.Google Scholar
- Rosen, R., Cappelleri, J. C., Smith, M. D., Lipsky, J., & Peña, B. M. (1999). Development and evaluation of an abridged, 5-item version of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) as a diagnostic tool for erectile dysfunction. International Journal of Impotence Research, 11, 319–326.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rothblum, E., & Brehony, K. (1993). Boston marriages: Romantic but asexual relationships among contemporary lesbians. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press.Google Scholar
- Sell, R. (1996). The Sell assessment of sexual orientation: Background and scoring. Journal of Gay, Lesbian, & Bisexual Identity, 1, 295–310.Google Scholar
- Swash, R. (2012, February). Among the asexual. The Guardian. Retrieved February 29, 2012, from http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/26/among-the-asexuals.