Perceptions of HPV, Genital Warts, and Penile/Anal Cancer and High-Risk Sexual Behaviors Among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Hong Kong
- 658 Downloads
The prevalence of HIV and HPV is high among men who have sex with men (MSM) in China. It is unclear whether cognitive and affective responses related to HPV and HPV-related diseases are negatively associated with HIV-related risk behaviors among MSM. This cross-sectional study interviewed 449 adult Chinese MSM in Hong Kong. The prevalence of unprotected anal intercourse (UAI) and having had anal sex with more than one man in the last 6 months (multiple male sex partnerships) was 39.0 and 71.3 %, respectively. After adjusting for four significant background variables (education level, cohabitation with a man, exposure to HIV prevention materials, and HIV voluntary counseling and testing), variables negatively associated with UAI and/or multiple male sex partnerships included (1) correct HPV-related knowledge (AOR = 0.48–0.66), (2) perceived susceptibility (AOR = 0.32–0.55) and perceived severity (AOR = 0.12–0.60) related to HPV and HPV-related diseases, and (3) fear towards contracting genital warts and penile/anal cancer (AOR = 0.40–0.55). Perceived high chance of contracting HPV was positively associated with multiple partnerships (AOR = 4.74). It is possible to reduce HIV-related risk behaviors by increasing levels of knowledge, cognitions, and fear related to HPV and related diseases. It is important to integrate prevention of HIV with prevention of sexually transmitted infections. Such interventions are warranted.
KeywordsMen who have sex with men Unprotected anal intercourse HPV HIV AIDS
This study was funded by Merck Sharp & Dohme (Asia) Ltd. (MSD ref: IISP 37671).
- Centre for Health Protection. (2009). Facesheet: HIV/AIDS situation in Hong Kong 2009. Retrieved from http://www.aidsdatahub.org/en/hong-kong-sar-reference-library/item/11555-factsheet-hiv/aids-situation-in-hong-kong-2009-special-preventive-programme-centre-for-health-protection-department-of-health-hong-kong-2009.
- Dietz, C. A., & Nyberg, C. R. (2011). Genital, oral, and anal human papillomavirus infection in men who have sex with men. Journal of American Osteopathic Association, 111(3 Suppl. 2), S19–S25.Google Scholar
- Feng, L., Ding, X., Lu, R., Liu, J., Sy, A., Ouyang, L., … Zhao, J. (2009). High HIV prevalence detected in 2006 and 2007 among men who have sex with men in China’s largest municipality: An alarming epidemic in Chongqing, China. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 52, 79–85.Google Scholar
- Feng, Y., Wu, Z., Detels, R., Qin, G., Liu, L., Wang, X., … Zhang, L. (2010). HIV/STD prevalence among men who have sex with men in Chengdu, China and associated risk factors for HIV infection. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 53(Suppl. 1), S74–S80.Google Scholar
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China. (2008). PRiSM-HIV prevalence and risk behavioural survey of men who have sex with men in Hong Kong 2006. Retrieved from http://www.info.gov.hk/aids/english/surveillance/sur_report/prism2006e.pdf.
- Hong, F. C., Zhou, H., Cai, Y. M., Pan, P., Feng, T. J., Liu, X. L., et al. (2009). Prevalence of syphilis and HIV infections among men who have sex with men from different settings in Shenzhen, China: Implications for HIV/STD surveillance. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 85, 42–44.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jiang, J., Cao, N., Zhang, J., Xia, Q., Gong, X., Xue, H., … Shao, C. (2006). High prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases among men who have sex with men in Jiangsu Province, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 33, 118–123.Google Scholar
- Lau, J. T., Cai, W., Tsui, H. Y., Chen, L., Cheng, J., Lin, C., … Hao, C. (2012). Unprotected anal intercourse behavior and intention among male sex workers in Shenzhen serving cross-boundary male clients coming from Hong Kong, China: Prevalence and associated factors. AIDS Care, 24, 59–70.Google Scholar
- Liu, H., Wang, N., Zhang, Q., Shao, Y., Wu, T., Liu, Y., et al. (2007). Study of HIV and syphilis infection situation and sexual behavioral characteristics among 416 MSM. Chinese Journal of AIDS & HIV, 13, 230–234.Google Scholar
- Ma, X., Zhang, Q., He, X., Sun, W., Yue, H., Chen, S., … McFarland, W. (2007). Trends in prevalence of HIV, syphilis, hepatitis C, hepatitis B, and sexual risk behavior among men who have sex with men: Results of 3 consecutive respondent-driven sampling surveys in Beijing, 2004 through 2006. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 45, 581–587.Google Scholar
- MacKellar, D. A., Valleroy, L. A., Secura, G. M., Behel, S., Bingham, T., Celentano, D. D., … Torian, L. V. (2007). Perceptions of lifetime risk and actual risk for acquiring HIV among young men who have sex with men. AIDS and Behavior, 11, 263–270.Google Scholar
- Mahoney, M. C. (2006). Protecting our patients from HPV and HPV-related diseases: The role of vaccines (pp. 10–17). Suppl: Journal of Family Practice.Google Scholar
- Ruan, Y., Jia, Y., Zhang, X., Liang, H., Li, Q., Yang, Y., … Shao, Y. (2009b). Incidence of HIV-1, syphilis, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C virus infections and predictors associated with retention in a 12-month follow-up study among men who have sex with men in Beijing, China. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 52, 604–610.Google Scholar
- Ruan, Y., Li, D., Li, X., Qian, H. Z., Shi, W., Zhang, X., … Shao, Y. (2007). Relationship between syphilis and HIV infections among men who have sex with men in Beijing, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 34, 592–597.Google Scholar
- Ruan, S., Yang, H., Zhu, Y., Wang, M., Ma, Y., Zhao, J., … Raymond, H. F. (2009a). Rising HIV prevalence among married and unmarried among men who have sex with men: Jinan, China. AIDS and Behavior, 13, 671–676.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2011). Retrieved from http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/25/health/hpv-vaccine/index.html.
- Xinhuanet. (2009). HIV incidence among gays increase fast in China. Retrieved from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-2011/content_10427717.htm.
- Xu, J. J., Zhang, M., Brown, K., Reilly, K., Wang, H., Hu, Q., … Shang, H. (2010). Syphilis and HIV seroconversion among a 12-month prospective cohort of men who have sex with men in Shenyang, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 37, 432–439.Google Scholar
- Yang, H., Hao, C., Huan, X., Yan, H., Guan, W., Xu, X., … Lau, J. T. (2010). HIV incidence and associated factors in a cohort of men who have sex with men in Nanjing, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 37, 208–213.Google Scholar
- Zhang, X., Yu, J., Li, M., Sun, X., Han, Q., Zhou, F., … Gao, L. (2011). Prevalence and related risk behaviors of HIV, syphilis, and anal HPV infection among men who have sex with men from Beijing, China. AIDS and Behavior, 17, 1129–1136.Google Scholar
- Zhong, F., Lin, P., Xu, H., Wang, Y., Wang, M., He, Q., … Zhao, J. (2011). Possible increase in HIV and syphilis prevalence among men who have sex with men in Guangzhou, China: Results from a respondent-driven sampling survey. AIDS and Behavior, 15, 1058–1066.Google Scholar