Surveying “Non-Heterosexual Orientation”: The Problems of Unstratified Sampling, Non-Inclusive Categorizations, and Implied Causality: Commentary on Wells, McGee, and Beautrais (2011)
- 155 Downloads
In their article on sexuality in Aotearoa/New Zealand, Wells, McGee, and Beautrais (2011) presented estimates of the prevalence of various forms of “non-heterosexual orientation” and examined a number of correlates in adulthood and from recall of childhood. We would like to raise three concerns regarding the methodology of the study and the aims and language of the article. The article received considerable local media attention (e.g., Hipkiss, 2010; Rudd, 2010; Todd, 2010), including expressions of concern from members of the non-heterosexual communities that were ostensibly represented in the study (e.g., Hipkiss, 2010; Todd, 2010). Our concerns reflect and expand upon some of the concerns of those communities.
Our first concern is the approach to sampling and the post-hoc nature of the analysis to address aims that were not the primary aim of the main study. Embedded in the study’s methodology is an assumption that selecting one person per household facilitates a representative...
KeywordsSexual Experience Sexual Identity World Mental Health Mental Health Study World Mental Health Survey
- American Psychological Association. (n.d.). Sexual orientation and homosexuality. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx.
- Brickell, C. (2008). Mates & lovers: A history of gay New Zealand. Auckland: Random House/Godwit.Google Scholar
- Clarke, V., Ellis, S. J., Peel, E., & Riggs, D. W. (2010). Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer psychology: An introduction. Leiden: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hipkiss, I. (2010, July 23). Findings in gay study ‘just plain wrong’—critics. 3 News. Retrieved from http://www.3news.co.nz/Findings-in-gay-study-just-plain-wrong--critics/tabid/420/articleID/167132/Default.aspx.
- Kaiser, C. (2007). The gay metropolis: The landmark history of gay life in America. New York: Grove.Google Scholar
- Rudd, A. (2010, July 23). Sexual orientation link to past: Study. Otago Daily Times. Retrieved from http://www.odt.co.nz/campus/university-otago/117336/sexual-orientation-link-past-study.
- Stainton Rogers, W. (2009). Research methodology. In D. Fox, I. Prilleltensky, & S. Austin (Eds.), Critical psychology: An introduction (2nd ed., pp. 335–354). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Todd, R. (2010, July 23). Abused ‘more likely to be gay’. The Press. Retrieved from http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3949087/Abused-more-likely-to-be-gay.