Hypersexual Disorder: A More Cautious Approach
- 1.2k Downloads
Kafka (2009) has done an exemplary job of synthesizing disparate perspectives on dysregulated sexuality, and distilling the common elements into Hypersexual Disorder, a proposed new diagnosis for the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. There appears to be substantial clinical support for this disorder; however, strong empirical evidence demonstrating its validity is currently lacking. Further, previous criticisms of the theoretical assumptions underlying a dysregulated sexuality disorder, regardless of how it is conceptualized and labeled, have not yet been adequately addressed (e.g., Giles, 2006; Levine & Troiden, 1988; Moser, 1993; Rinehart & McCabe, 1997; Winters, Christoff, & Gorzalka, 2010). For these reasons, the addition of Hypersexual Disorder to the DSM may be premature.
To meet the DSM definition for a mental disorder, it must be shown that Hypersexual Disorder represents a psychological or behavioral syndrome that is the manifestation...
KeywordsSexual Behavior Negative Affect Risky Sexual Behavior Sexual Expression Sexual Fantasy
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Goodman, A. (1997). Sexual addiction: diagnosis, etiology and treatment. In J. H. Lowenstein, R. B. Millman, P. Ruiz, & J. G. Langrod (Eds.), Substance abuse: A comprehensive textbook (3rd ed., pp. 340–354). Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Kafka, M. P. (2009). Hypersexual disorder: A proposed diagnosis for DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-009-9574-7.
- Rinehart, N. L., & McCabe, M. P. (1997). Hypersexuality: Psychopathology or normal variant of sexuality? Sexual and Marital Therapy, 12, 45–60.Google Scholar
- Winters, J., Christoff, K., & Gorzalka, B. B. (2010). Dysregulated sexuality and high sexual desire: Distinct constructs? Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-009-9591-6.