Sexual Preference for 14-Year-Olds as a Mental Disorder: You Can’t Be Serious!!
- 828 Downloads
Having been active in the 1970s struggle to remove homosexuality from the DSM (Green, 1972), a success that cured millions of their mental disorder, I am appalled that the ranks of the disordered may swell, once more in consequence of sexual orientation.
As a psychiatry professor and graduate of Yale Law School, I hope I understand the domain of both disciplines. The DSM proposal trespasses their boundary.
Concern is expressed that “the current definition of pedophilia is excluding from specific diagnosis a considerable proportion of men who have a persistent preference for humans at an incomplete stage of physical development” (Blanchard et al., 2009). Whence the 11th commandment, Thou shalt not have sex with those not fully mature? The Commandment could have been carved: Thou shalt not have sex with...
KeywordsSexual Offender Sexual Expression Pedophilia Civil Commitment Gender Identity Disorder
- Augustine. (398). Confessions (A. Outler, Trans.). Grand Rapids, MI: Christian Classics Ethereal Library.Google Scholar
- Bayer, R. (1981). Homosexuality and American psychiatry: The politics of diagnosis. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Blanchard, R. (2009). The DSM diagnostic criteria for pedophilia. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-009-9536-0.
- Krafft-Ebing, R. (1886). Psychopathia sexualis. Stuttgart: Verlag von Ferdinand Enke.Google Scholar
- Moser, C., & Kleinplatz, P. (2005). Does heterosexuality belong in the DSM? Lesbian and Gay Psychology Review, 3, 261–267.Google Scholar