Alcohol Use and High-Risk Sexual Behavior in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Narrative Review
- First Online:
- 996 Downloads
Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) contains 10% of the world’s population and 60% of all people living with AIDS. Consequently, research investigating risk factors associated with HIV acquisition is a public health priority and one such risk factor is alcohol consumption. This article is a review of empirical studies on the association of alcohol and high-risk sexual behavior in SSA, with a focus on measurable outcomes generated from quantitative data. A critique of the literature is provided, with attention to methodological concerns. Empirically based theoretical orientations were used to interpret the reviewed research and to stimulate discussion about how to improve the state of the current literature. Based on this discussion, a model of alcohol and high-risk sexual behavior in an African context is proposed in order to integrate the existing literature and highlight areas in need of continued research.
KeywordsAlcohol Sex Africa HIV/AIDS STD
- Abramson, J. H. (1990). Meta-analysis: A review of pros and cons. Public Health Review, 18, 1–47.Google Scholar
- Alemu, H., Mariam, D. H., Belay, K. A., & Davey, G. (2007). Factors predisposing out-of-school youths to HIV/AIDS-related risky sexual behaviour in Northwest Ethiopia. The Journal of Health, Population, and Nutrition, 25, 344–350.Google Scholar
- Ashley, J. W., Levine, B., & Needle, R. (2006). Summary of the proceedings of meeting on alcohol, HIV risk behaviours, and transmission in Africa: Developing programmes for the United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). African Journal of Drug & Alcohol Studies, 5, 192–200.Google Scholar
- Ayisi, J. G., van Eijk, A. M., ter Kuile, F. O., Kolczak, M. S., Otieno, J. A., Misore, A. O., et al. (2000). Risk factors for HIV infection among asymptomatic pregnant women attending an antenatal clinic in western Kenya. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 11, 393–401.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Babalola, S. (2006). Gender differences in the factors influencing consistent condom use among young people in Tanzania. International Journal of Adolescent Medical Health, 18, 287–298.Google Scholar
- Bassett, M. T., McFarland, W. C., Ray, S., Mbizvo, M. T., Machekano, R., van de Wijgert, J. H., et al. (1996). Risk factors for HIV infection at enrollment in an urban male factory cohort in Harare, Zimbabwe. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 13, 287–293.Google Scholar
- Campbell, E. K. (2003). A note on alcohol consumption and sexual behavior of youths in Botswana. African Sociological Review, 7, 146–161.Google Scholar
- Clift, S., Anemona, A., Watson-Jones, D., Kanga, Z., Ndeki, L., Changalucha, J., et al. (2003). Variations of HIV and STI prevalences within communities neighboring new goldmines in Tanzania: Importance for intervention design. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 79, 307–313.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cooper, M. L. (2002). Alcohol use and risky sexual behavior among college students and youth: Evaluating the evidence. Journal of Studies on Alcohol , Suppl 14, 101–117.Google Scholar
- Dunkle, K. L., Jewkes, R. K., Nduna, M., Jama, N., Levin, J., Sikweyiya, Y., et al. (2007). Transactional sex with casual and main partners among young South Africa men in the rural Eastern Cape: Prevalence, predictors, and associations with gender-based violence. Social Science and Medicine, 65, 1235–1248.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kalichman, S. C., Simbayi, L. C., Vermaak, R., Jooste, S., & Cain, D. (2008). HIV/AIDS risks among men and women who drink at informal alcohol serving establishments (shebeens) in Cape Town, South Africa. Prevention Science, 9, 55–62.Google Scholar
- Kapiga, S. H., Sam, N. E., Shao, J. F., Renjifo, B., Masenga, E. J., Kiwelu, I. E., et al. (2002). HIV-1 epidemic among female bar and hotel workers in Northern Tanzania: Risk factors and opportunities for prevention. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 29, 409–417.Google Scholar
- Karamagi, C. A., Tumwine, J. K., Tylleskar, T., & Heggenhougen, K., (2006). Intimate partner violence against women in eastern Uganda: Implications for HIV prevention. BMC Public Health, 6, 284–296.Google Scholar
- Kayembe, K. P., Mapatano, M. A., Busangu, F. A., Nyandwe, K. J., Mashinda, K. D., Musema, M. G., et al. (2008). Correlates of ever had sex and recent sex among teenagers and young unmarried adults in the Democratic Republic of Congo. AIDS and Behavior, 12, 585–593.Google Scholar
- Kiene, S. M., Simbayi, L. C., Abrams, A., Cloete, A., Tennen, H., & Fisher, J. D. (2008). High rates of unprotected sex occurring among HIV-positive individuals in a daily diary study in South Africa: The role of alcohol use. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 42, 219–226.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lane, T., Shade, S. B., McIntyre, J., & Morin, S. F. (2008). Alcohol and sexual risk behavior among men who have sex with men in South African township communities. AIDS and Behavior, 12, 78–85.Google Scholar
- Lugalla, J., Emmelin, M., Mutembei, A., Sima, M., Kwesigabo, G., Killewo, J., et al. (2004). Social, cultural, and sexual behavioral determinants of observed decline in HIV infection trends: Lessons from the Kagera region, Tanzania. Social Science and Medicine, 59, 185–198.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lurie, M., Pronyk, P., de Moor, E., Heyer, A., de Bruyn, G., Struthers, H., et al. (2008). Sexual behavior and reproductive health among HIV-infection patients in urban and rural South Africa (2008). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 47, 484–493.Google Scholar
- MacAndrew, C., & Edgerton, R. (1969). Drunken comportment: A social explanation. Oxford, England: Aldine. Retrieved July 22, 2009, from PsycINFO database.Google Scholar
- Moore, S., Gullone, E., & McArthur, C. (2004). Risk taking and HIV/AIDS among people in Cameroon: Prediction of vulnerability using the Adolescent Risk-Taking Questionnaire. Social Behavior and Personality, 32, 209–222.Google Scholar
- Morris, C. N., Levine, B., Goodridge, G., Luo, N., & Ashley, J. (2006). Three-country assessment of alcohol-HIV related policy and programmatic responses in Africa. African Journal of Drug & Alcohol Studies, 5, 170–184.Google Scholar
- Morrison, C. S., Sunkutu, M. R., & Glover, L. H. (1997). Sexually transmitted disease among married Zambian women: The role of male and female sexual behavior in prevention and management. Genitourintological Medicine, 73, 555–557.Google Scholar
- Msuya, S. E., Mbizvo, E., Hussain, A., Uriyo, J., Sam, N. E., & Stray-Pedersen, B. (2006). HIV among pregnant women in Moshi, Tanzania: The role of sexual behavior, male partner characteristics and sexually transmitted infections. AIDS Research and Therapy, 3. Retrieved November 5, 2006, from http://www.aidsrestherapy.com/content/3/1/27.
- Ndinya-Achola, J. O., Ghee, A. E., Kihara, A. N., Krone, M. R., Plummer, F. A., Fisher, L. D., et al. (1997). High HIV prevalence, low condom use and gender differences in sexual behavior among patients with STD-related complaints at a Nairobi primary health care clinic. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 8, 506–514.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ortiz, D. J., Bing, E. G., Boyer, C., Russak, S. M., DeDues, F. J., & Ernesto, F. (2005). Evidence-based recommendations for prevention of human immunodeficiency virus and sexually transmitted infections in the Angolan armed forces: Challenges and opportunities at the end of 30 years of war. Military Medicine, 170, 327–332.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saunders, J. B., Aasland, O. G., Baror, T. F., De la Fuente, J. R., & Grant, M. (1993). Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption-II. Addiction, 88, 791–804.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sebit, M. B., Tombe, M., Siziya, S., Balus, S., Nkomo, S. D., & Maramba, P. (2003). Prevalence of HIV/AIDS and psychiatric disorders and their related risk factors among adults in Epworth, Zimbabwe. East African Medical Journal, 80, 503–512.Google Scholar
- Simbayi, L. C., Kalichman, S. C., Jooste, S., Mathiti, V., Cain, D., & Cherry, C. (2004). Alcohol use and sexual risks for HIV infection among men and women receiving sexually transmitted infection clinic services in Cape Town, South Africa. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 65, 434–442.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- St. Lawrence, J. S., Klaskala, W., Kankasa, C., West, J. T., Mitchell, C. D. & Wood, C. (2006). Factors associated with HIV prevalence in a pre-partum cohort of Zambian women. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 17, 607–613.Google Scholar
- Taffa, N., Klepp, K. I., Sundby, J., & Bjune, G. (2002). Psychosocial determinants of sexual activity and condom use intention among youth in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 10, 714–719.Google Scholar
- Tassiopoulos, K. K., Seage, G. R., Sam, N. E., Ao, T. T., Masenga, E. J., Highes, M. D., et al. (2006). Sexual behavior, psychosocial and knowledge differences between consistent, inconsistent and non-users of condoms: A study of female bar and hotel workers in Moshi, Tanzania. AIDS and Behavior, 10, 405–413.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UNAIDS. (2006). 2006 Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Retrieved September 22, 2006, from http://www.unaids.org/en/HIV_data/2006GlobalReport/default.asp.
- Weiser, S. D., Leiter, K., Heisler, M., McFarland, W., Percy-de Korte, F., DeMonner, S. M., et al. (2006). A population-based study on alcohol and high-risk sexual behaviors in Botswana. PLoS Medicine, 10, e392–e401. Retrieved November 5, 2006, from http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=getdocument&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0030392.
- WHO Global Status Report on Alcohol: Africa Region (2004). Retrieved February 18, 2007, from http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/globalstatusreportalcoholprofiles/en/index.html.
- Wilson, D., Sibanda, B., Mboyi, L., Msimanga, S., & Dube, G. (1990). A pilot study for an HIV prevention programme among commercial sex workers in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Social Science and Medicine, 31(5), 609–618.Google Scholar
- Wong, F., Huang, Z., DiGangi, J., Thompson, E., & Smith, B. (2008). Gender differences in intimate partner violence on substance abuse, sexual risks, and depression among a sample of South Africans in Cape Town, South Africa. AIDS Education and Prevention, 20(1), 56–64.Google Scholar
- Woolf, S. E., & Maisto, S. A. (2008). Alcohol use and risk of HIV infection among men who have sex with men. AIDS and Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10461-007-9354-0.
- Yadav, G., Saskin, R., Ngugi, E., Kimani, J., Keli, F., Fonck, K., et al. (2005). Associations of sexual risk taking among Kenyan female sex workers after enrollment in an HIV-1 prevention trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 38, 329–334.Google Scholar
- Zablotska, I. B., Gray, R. H., Koenig, M. A., Serwadda, D., Nalugoda, F., Kigozi, G., et al. (2007). Alcohol use, intimate partner violence, sexual coercion and HIV among women aged 15-24 in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS and Behavior, 13, 225–233.Google Scholar