Reply to Letters Regarding Pedophilia, Hebephilia, and the DSM-V
- 371 Downloads
The on-line publication of our article, “Pedophilia, Hebephilia, and the DSM-V” (Blanchard et al., 2008), quickly prompted the writing of several letters to the editor of this journal. I am writing this letter of reply as sole author, and any inadequacies or inaccuracies in it can be attributed to me alone.
The letters by Tromovitch (2008) and DeClue (2008) focus on our recommendation that hebephilia (the erotic preference for pubescent children) be considered for inclusion in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). Tromovitch and DeClue point out that we did not provide a definition of mental disorder, and we did not investigate whether hebephilia would satisfy the definition of mental disorder. That is true. We could and perhaps should have included a statement to this effect: “The clinical implications of this study depend on the DSM-V using a definition of mental disorder that is similar to the definition supplied in the DSM-IV-TR...
KeywordsSexual Offense Pedophilia Prepubescent Child Penile Response Prepubescent Girl
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Blanchard, R., Lykins, A. D., Wherrett, D., Kuban, M. E., Cantor, J. M., Blak, T., et al. (2008). Pedophilia, hebephilia, and the DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9399-9.
- DeClue, G. (2008). Should hebephilia be a mental disorder? A reply to Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9422-1.
- Franklin, K. (2008). The public policy implications of “hebephilia”: A response to Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9425-y.
- Freund, K. (1981). Assessment of pedophilia. In M. Cook & K. Howells (Eds.), Adult sexual interest in children (pp. 139–179). New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Plaud, J. J. (2008). Are there “hebephiles” among us? A response to Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9423-0.
- Tromovitch, P. (2008). Manufacturing mental disorder by pathologizing erotic age orientation: A comment on Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9426-x.
- Zander, T. K. (2008). Adult sexual attraction to early-stage adolescents: Phallometry doesn’t equal pathology [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10508-008-9428-8.