Influence of rosemary extract (Rosmarinus officinalis) Inolens to extend the shelf life of vacuum-packed rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fillets stored under refrigerated conditions
- 38 Downloads
The effects of three concentrations (0.5, 1.0 and 2%) of rosemary extract “Inolens 4” and control (without additive) on microbiological quality, sensory attributes, colour parameters and oxidative stability of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fillets during refrigerated storage after different periods (0, 3, 6, 10 and 14 days) were investigated. Microbial communities grew to between 1.93 and 2.29 colony-forming units per gramme (log CFU g−1), 5.10 and 5.27, 5.12 and 5.80 and 6.34 and 7.66 log CFU g−1 after 0, 6, 8 and 10 days of storage, respectively, and fillets treated with Inolens 0.5 showed the lowest total viable counts among all analysed groups. Also, sensory analyses showed that Inolens 0.5 achieved best scores in all sensory attributes of cooked flesh. Evaluation of lipid oxidation parameters proved that treatment with Inolens 4 had a positive effect, leading to delay oxidation processes in flesh.
KeywordsAntioxidant Fish flesh Lipid oxidation Microbiological analyses Sensory attributes
Special thanks belong to the technicians Kateřina Fulínová and Vítězslav Plička, from the Laboratory of nutrition of IAPW, FFPW, USB, České Budějovice, for their kind help during the analyses.
The study was financially supported by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic-the CENAKVA project (LM2018099), CENAKVA Center Development (CZ.1.05/2.1.00/19.0380) and Biodiversity (CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/16_025/0007370), by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic (No. QJ1510119 and No. QJ1610324).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed by the authors.
- Akhtar P, Gray JI, Booren AM, Garling DL (1998) Effect of dietary components and surface application of oleoresin rosemary on lipid stability of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) muscle during refrigerated and frozen storage. J Food Lipids 5:43–58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4522.1998.tb00106.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alasavar C, Shanhidi F, Miyashita K, Wanasundra U (2011) Handbook of seafood quality, safety and health applications. Wiley-Blackwell , Ltd., p 576Google Scholar
- Amariei S, Poroch-Seriţan M, Gutt G, Oroian M, Ciornei E (2016) Rosemary, thyme and oregano essential oils influence on physicochemical properties and microbiological stability of minced meat. J Microbiol Biotechnol Food Sci 6:670–676. https://doi.org/10.15414/jmbfs.2016.6.1.670-676 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bensid A, Ucar Y, Bendeddouche B, Ozogul F (2014) Effect of the icing with thyme, oregano and clove extracts on quality parameters of gutted and beheaded anchovy (Engraulis encrasicholus) during chilled storage. Food Chem 145:681–686. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.08.106 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Corbo MR, Speranza B, Fillippone A, Granatiero S, Conte A, Sinigaglia M, Del Nobile MA (2008) Study on the synergic effect of natural compounds on microbial quality decay of packed fish hamburger. Int J Food Microbiol 127:261–267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2008.07.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- FAO (2005) Food and Agricultural Organization. Post-harvest changes in fish. Cited 25 February 2017 http://www.fao.org/fishery/topic/12320/en
- Gates KW (2011) Handbook of seafood and seafood products analysis. In: Leo, M.L. & Noller, F.T. (eds.) J Aquat Food Prod T 20:258–269 https://doi.org/10.1080/10498850.2011.561188
- ICMSF (1986) International commission on microbiological specifications for foods. Sampling plans for fish and shellfish. In: ICMSF (ed.). Microorganisms in foods. Sampling for microbiological analysis: principles and scientific applications. Vol. 2 (2nd edn). Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto PressGoogle Scholar
- ISO 6658 (2005) Sensory analysis—methodology—general guidance. http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=36226
- ISO 8589 (2007) Sensory analysis—general guidance for the design of test rooms. http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=36385
- Miller DD (1998) Lipid peroxidation. Food chemistry—a laboratory manual. Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, New York, Chichester, Weinhiem, Brisbane, Singapore, Toronto, pp 57–67Google Scholar
- Sánchez-Moreno C, Larrauri JA, Saura-Calixto F (1998) A procedure to measure the antiradical efficiency of polyphenols. J Sci Food Agric 76:270–276. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199802)76:2<270::AID-JSFA945>3.0.CO;2-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schormüller J (1968) Handbuch der Lebensmittel Chemie. Band III/2 Teil. Tierische Lebensmittel Eier, Fleisch, Buttermilch. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, pp 1482–1537Google Scholar
- Sinnuber RO, Yu TC (1958) 2-Thiobarbituric acid method for the measurement of rancidity in fishery products, II. The quantitative determination of malonaldehyde. Food Technol 1:9–12Google Scholar