Towards Rapid Analysis of Turbulent Flows in Complex Internal Passages
A novel approach to investigate turbulent flows in complex configurations is presented. It is based on the combined use of computer simulations and experimental measurements, and has the ability to produce, in a short period of time, large datasets in three-dimensional volumes. The measurements are based on magnetic resonance velocimetry whereas the computations use the immersed boundary technique. Both methods enable detailed analysis of flow fields in realistic configurations and can be used in a complementary way to identify regions of interest and perform design decisions. Direct comparisons between the experimental and numerical datasets are presented for the flow in a pipe and in a three-leg rib-roughened serpentine as a first step towards a more complete validation; the current limitations of the present approach are also discussed.
Key wordsmagnetic resonance velocimetry immersed boundary technique ribbed serpentine rapid prototyping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Elkins, C.J., Markl, M., Pelc, N., Eaton, J.K.: 4D magnetic resonance velocimetry for mean flow measurements in complex turbulent flows. Exp. Fluids 34, 494–503 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Kalitzin, G.: Validation and development of two-equation turbulence models. In: Haase, W., et al. (ed.) ECARP, Validation of CFD Codes and Assessment of turbulence models, Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics Series, vol. 57. Vieweg, Berlin, Germany (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Kalitzin, G., Iaccarino, G.: Turbulence modeling in an immersed boundary RANS method. Annual Research Briefs, Center for Turbulence Research, 415–426 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Iaccarino, G., Kalitzin, G., Moin, P., Khalighi, B.: Local Grid Refinement for an Immersed Boundary RANS Solver, AIAA Paper 2004-0586 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Stark, D., Bradley, W.: Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Mosby-Year Book, St. Louis (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Wilcox, D.C.: Turbulence Modeling for CFD. DCW Industries (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Wolhers, T.: CAD meets rapid prototyping. Comput. Aided Eng. 11(4), 43–57 (1992)Google Scholar