Guaranteed and computable bounds of the limit load for variational problems with linear growth energy functionals
- First Online:
- 47 Downloads
The paper is concerned with guaranteed and computable bounds of the limit (or safety) load, which is one of the most important quantitative characteristics of mathematical models associated with linear growth functionals. We suggest a new method for getting such bounds and illustrate its performance. First, the main ideas are demonstrated with the paradigm of a simple variational problem with a linear growth functional defined on a set of scalar valued functions. Then, the method is extended to classical plasticity models governed by vonMises and Drucker-Prager yield laws. The efficiency of the proposed approach is confirmed by several numerical experiments.
Keywordsfunctionals with linear growth limit load truncation method perfect plasticity
MSC 201049M15 74C05 74S05 90C25
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. F. Chen, X. L. Liu: Limit Analysis in Soil Mechanics. Elsevier, 1990.Google Scholar
- G. Duvaut, J. L. Lions: Inequalities in Mechanics and Physics. Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften 219, Springer, Berlin, 1976.Google Scholar
- R. Finn: Equilibrium Capillary Surfaces. Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften 284, Springer, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- E. Giusti: Minimal Surfaces and Functions of Bounded Variations. Monographs in Mathematics 80, Birkhäuser, Basel, 1984.Google Scholar
- C. Johnson, R. Scott: A finite element method for problems in perfect plasticity using discontinuous trial functions. Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis in StructuralMechanics (W. Wunderlich, et al., eds.). Proc. Europe-U. S. Workshop, Bochum, 1980, Springer, Berlin, 1981, pp. 307–324.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M. A. Krasnosel’skii: Topological Methods in the Theory of Nonlinear Integral Equations. Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1964.Google Scholar
- D. W. Langbein: Capillary Surfaces: Shape, Stability, Dynamics, in Particular under Weightlessness. Springer Tracts in Modern Physics 178, Springer, Berlin, 2002.Google Scholar
- J. C. C. Nitsche: Lectures on Minimal Surfaces: Volume 1: Introduction, Fundamentals, Geometry and Basic Boundary Value Problems. Revised, extended and updated by the author. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2011.Google Scholar