Some novel hybrid forecast methods based on picture fuzzy clustering for weather nowcasting from satellite image sequences
- 412 Downloads
Weather nowcasting comprises the detailed description of the current weather along with forecasts obtained by extrapolation for very short-range period of zero to six hours ahead. It is particularly useful when forecasting complicated processes such as rainfall, clouds, and rapidly developing or changing storms. This plays an important role for daily activities like working, traveling, daily planning, flying, etc. Weather forecast can be solved by latest radar, satellite or observational data. However, the main challenges associated with nowcasting are the flawed characterization of transitions between different meteorological structures. In this paper, we propose two novel hybrid forecast methods based on picture fuzzy clustering for weather nowcasting. The first method named as PFC-STAR uses a combination of picture fuzzy clustering and spatiotemporal regression. The second one named as PFC-PFR integrates picture fuzzy clustering with picture fuzzy rule. Those methods are equipped with advanced training processes which enhance the accuracy of predicted outputs. The experiments indicate that the proposed methods are better than the relevant ones for weather nowcasting.
KeywordsPicture fuzzy clustering Picture fuzzy rules Satellite images Spatiotemporal regression Weather nowcasting
The authors are greatly indebted to the editor-in-chief, Prof. Moonis Ali; anonymous reviewers for their comments and their valuable suggestions that improved the quality and clarity of paper. This research is funded by Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under grant number 102.05-2014.01.
- 1.Al-amri SS, Kalyankar NV, Khamitkar SD (2010) A comparative study of removal noise from remote sensing image. arXiv preprint arXiv:1002.1148
- 4.Cuong BC (2014) Picture fuzzy sets. Journal of Computer Science and Cybernetics 30(4):409–420Google Scholar
- 5.Eberhart RC, Kennedy JA (1995) New optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proceedings of the sixth international symposium on micro machine and human science 1 (1995, October), pp 39–43Google Scholar
- 9.Mass C, Mass CF (2011) Nowcasting: The Next Revolution in Weather Prediction. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. Available at, http://www.atmos.washington.edu/cliff/BAMSNowcast7.11.pdf
- 10.Melgani F (2006) Contextual reconstruction of cloud-contaminated multitemporal multispectral images. IEEE Trans Geosci Remote Sens 44(2):442–455Google Scholar
- 11.National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (2015) MTSAT West Color Infrared Loop. Available at: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscolw.html
- 20.Thong PH, Son LH (2014) A new approach to multi-variables fuzzy forecasting using picture fuzzy clustering and picture fuzzy rules interpolation method. In: Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering, pp 679– 690Google Scholar
- 23.Ward System Group (1993) Manual of NeuroShell 2. Ward System Group, FrederickGoogle Scholar