On Minimal Coalgebras
- 51 Downloads
We define an out-degree for F-coalgebras and show that the coalgebras of outdegree at most κ form a covariety. As a subcategory of all F-coalgebras, this class has a terminal object, which for many problems can stand in for the terminal F-coalgebra, which need not exist in general. As examples, we derive structure theoretic results about minimal coalgebras, showing that, for instance minimization of coalgebras is functorial, that products of finitely many minimal coalgebras exist and are given by their largest common subcoalgebra, that minimal subcoalgebras have no inner endomorphisms and show how minimal subcoalgebras can be constructed from Moore-automata. Since the elements of minimal subcoalgebras must correspond uniquely to the formulae of any logic characterizing observational equivalence, we give in the last section a straightforward and self-contained account of the coalgebraic logic of D. Pattinson and L. Schröder, which we believe is simpler and more direct than the original exposition.
KeywordsCoalgebra minimal coalgebra Moore-automata Products Modal logic Coalgebraic logic
Mathematics Subject Classifications (2000)18B20 68Q85 16W30
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aczel, P., Mendler, N.: A final coalgebra theorem. In: Pitt, D.H. et al. (eds.) Proceedings Category Theory and Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 357–365. Springer (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.Adámek, J., Herrlich, H., Strecker, G.E.: Abstract and Concrete Categories. John Wiley & Sons (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Gumm, H.P.: Elements of the General Theory of Coalgebras. LUATCS 99, Rand Afrikaans University, Johannesburg, South Africa (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Gumm, H.P.: From T-coalgebras to filter structures and transition systems. In: Fiadeiro, D.H. et al. (eds.) Algebra and Coalgebra in Computer Science, vol. 3629 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 194–212. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Ihringer, Th., Gumm, H.P.: Allgemeine Algebra. Heldermann Verlag (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Kianpi, M., Jugnia, C.N.: A simplification functor for coalgebras. Int. J. Math. Math. Sci. (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Rutten, J.J.M.M.: Automata and coinduction (an exercise in coalgebra). In: Sangiorigi, D., de Simone, R. (eds.) Proceedings of CONCUR ’98, number 1466 in LNCS, pp. 194–218 (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Schröder, L.: Expressivity of coalgebraic modal logic: the limits and beyond. In: Sassone, V., (ed.) Foundations of Software Science and Computation Structures (FOSSACS), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 440–454. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Trnková, V.: On descriptive classification of set-functors I. Commun. Math. Univ. Carolinae 12(1), 323–352 (1971)Google Scholar