- First Online:
- 64 Downloads
We develop the theory of categories of measurable fields of Hilbert spaces and bounded fields of operators. We examine classes of functors and natural transformations with good measure theoretic properties, providing in the end a rigorous construction for the bicategory used in  and  as the basis for a representation theory of (Lie) 2-groups. Two important technical results are established along the way: first it is shown that all invertible additive bounded functors (and thus a fortiori all invertible *-functors) between categories of measurable fields of Hilbert spaces are induced by invertible measurable transformations between the underlying Borel spaces and second we establish the distributivity of Hilbert space tensor product over direct integrals over Lusin spaces with respect to σ-finite measures. The paper concludes with a general definition of measurable bicategories.
Mathematics Subject Classifications (2000)Primary 18D05 Secondary 18D10, 28A20
Key wordsmonoidal category monoidal bicategory Borel space direct integral measurable cetegory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baez, J.: Higher Yang-Mills theory. e-print, abstract and full-text links at http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0206130, 2002.
- 2.Barrett, J.W. and Mackaay, M.: Categorical representations of categorical groups. Privately communicated draft mansucript, 2002.Google Scholar
- 3.Crane, L. and Sheppard, M. D.: 2-categorical Poincare representations and state sum applications. e-preprint, abstract and full-text links at http://www.arXiv.org/abs/math.QA/0306440, 2003.
- 4.Crane, L. and Yetter, D. N.: Measurable categories and 2-groups, Appl. Categ. Struct. 13(5–6) (2005).Google Scholar
- 6.Graf, S. and Mauldin, R. D.: A classification of disintegrations of measures. In Measure and Measurable Dynamics, AMS Contemp. Math, vol. 94, American Mathematical Society, 1989, pp. 147–158.Google Scholar
- 7.Kapranov, M. and Voevodsky, V.: 2-categories and Zamolodchikov tetrahedra equations. In Proc. Symp. Pure Math. 56, Part 2, American Mathematical Society, 1994, pp. 177–260.Google Scholar
- 9.Takesaki, M.: Theory of Operator Algebras, I, Springer Encyclopedia of Mathematical Sciences, vol. 124, Springer, 2002.Google Scholar