Differential characteristic set algorithm for the complete symmetry classification of partial differential equations
- 47 Downloads
In this paper, we present a differential polynomial characteristic set algorithm for the complete symmetry classification of partial differential equations (PDEs) with some parameters. It can make the solution to the complete symmetry classification problem for PDEs become direct and systematic. As an illustrative example, the complete potential symmetry classifications of nonlinear and linear wave equations with an arbitrary function parameter are presented. This is a new application of the differential form characteristic set algorithm, i.e., Wu’s method, in differential equations.
Key wordspartial differential equations symmetry classification differential characteristic set
Chinese Library ClassificationO152.5 O175.2
2000 Mathematics Subject Classification03F03 03F65 35A30 58J70 58J72
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Olver, P. J. Applications of Lie Groups to Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, New York/Berlin (1991)Google Scholar
- Arnol’d, V. I. Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, New York (1978)Google Scholar
- Bluman, G. W. and Chaolu Temuer. Local and nonlocal symmetries for nonlinear telegraph equations. Journal of Mathematical Physics 46(2), 023505 (2005)Google Scholar
- Clarkson, P. A. and Mansfield, E. L. Open problems in symmetry analysis. In Geometrical Study of Differential Equations (eds. Leslie, J. A. and Robart, T.), AMS Contemporary Mathematics Series 285, 195–205 (2001)Google Scholar
- Reid, G. J. and Wittkoipf, A. D. Determination of maximal symmetry groups of classes of differential equations. Proceedings of the 2000 International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, Scotland, 272–280 (2000)Google Scholar
- Gao, Xiaoshan, Wang, Dingkang, and Yang, Hong. Equation Solving and Mechanical Proving-Solving Problems Based on MMP, Beijing Science Press, Beijing (2006)Google Scholar
- Wen Tsun, Wu. Basic principles of mechanical proving theorem in elementary geometries (in Chinese). Journal of Systems Science and Mathematical Science 4(3), 207–235 (1984)Google Scholar
- Wen Tsun, Wu. On the foundation of algebraic differential geometry. Journal of Systems Science and Complexty 2(4), 289–312 (1989)Google Scholar