Selection for novel, acid-tolerant Desulfovibrio spp. from a closed Transbaikal mine site in a temporal pH-gradient bioreactor
- 237 Downloads
Almost all the known isolates of acidophilic or acid-tolerant sulphate-reducing bacteria (SRB) belong to the spore-forming genus Desulfosporosinus in the Firmicutes. The objective of this study was to isolate acidophilic/acid-tolerant members of the genus Desulfovibrio belonging to deltaproteobacterial SRB. The sample material originated from microbial mat biomass submerged in mine water and was enriched for sulphate reducers by cultivation in anaerobic medium with lactate as an electron donor. A stirred tank bioreactor with the same medium composition was inoculated with the sulphidogenic enrichment. The bioreactor was operated with a temporal pH gradient, changing daily, from an initial pH of 7.3 to a final pH of 3.7. Among the bacteria in the bioreactor culture, Desulfovibrio was the only SRB group retrieved from the bioreactor consortium as observed by 16S rRNA-targeted denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Moderately acidophilic/acid-tolerant isolates belonged to Desulfovibrio aerotolerans-Desulfovibrio carbinophilus-Desulfovibrio magneticus and Desulfovibrio idahonensis-Desulfovibrio mexicanus clades within the genus Desulfovibrio. A moderately acidophilic strain, Desulfovibrio sp. VK (pH optimum 5.7) and acid-tolerant Desulfovibrio sp. ED (pH optimum 6.6) dominated in the bioreactor consortium at different time points and were isolated in pure culture.
KeywordsAcid tolerant Deltaproteobacteria Desulfovibrio Mine waste Sulphate-reducing bacteria
We are grateful to Dr. Michael Watts and his staff at the British Geological Survey for providing data on elemental and ion analysis. We thank Anna L. Gerasimchuk and Alexander Igoshin for their technical assistance with DGGE. This work was supported by the Russian Federation Agency of Science and Innovations (FCP Program, Contract No. 14.575.21.0067, Project No. FMEFI57514X0067), and the Russian Fund for Fundamental Research, Project No. 16-44-700315.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interests.
- Bijmans MFM, de Vries E, Yang C-H, Buisman CJN, Lens PNL, Dopson M (2010) Sulfate reduction at pH 4.0 for treatment of process and wastewaters. Biotechnol Progr 26:1029–1037Google Scholar
- Cardenas E, Wu W-M, Leigh MB, Carley J, Carroll S, Gentry T, Luo J, Watson D, Gu B, Ginder-Vogel M, Kitanidis PK, Jardine PM, Zhou J, Criddle CS, Marsh TL, Tiedje JM (2010) Significant association between sulfate-reducing and uranium-reducing microbial communities as revealed by a combined massively parallel sequencing-indicator species approach. Appl Environ Microbiol 76:6778–6786CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Frolov EN, Kublanov IV, Toshchakov SV, Samarov NI, Novikov AA, Lebedinsky AV, Bonch-Osmolovskaya EA, Chernyh NA (2017) Thermodesulfobium acidiphilum sp. nov., a thermoacidophilic, sulfate-reducing, chemoautotrophic bacterium from a thermal site. Int J System Evol Microbiol 67:1482–1485CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ikkert OP, Gerasimchuk AL, Bukhtiyarova PA, Tuovinen OH, Karnachuk OV (2013) Characterization of precipitates formed by H(2)S-producing, Cu-resistant Firmicute isolates of Tissierella from human gut and Desulfosporosinus from mine waste. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 103:1221–1234Google Scholar
- Kadnikov VV, Ivasenko DA, Beletskii AV, Mardanov AV, Danilova EV, Pimenov NV, Karnachuk OV, Ravin NV (2016) A novel uncultured bacterium of the family Gallionellaceae: description and genome reconstruction based on metagenomic analysis of microbial community in acid mine drainage. Mikrobiologiya 85:449–461Google Scholar
- Kaksonen AH, Dopson M, Karnachuk OV, Tuovinen OH, Puhakka JA (2008) Biological iron oxidation and sulfate reduction in the treatment of acid mine drainage at low temperatures. In: Margesin R, Schinner F, Marx J-C, Gerday C (eds) Psychrophiles: from biodiversity to biotechnology. Springer, Berlin, pp 429–454CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Karnachuk OV, Pimenov NV, Yusupov SK, Frank YA, Puhakka JA, Ivanov MV (2006) Distribution, diversity, and activity of sulfate-reducing bacteria in the water column in Gek-Gel lake, Azerbaijan. Mikrobiologiya 75:101–109Google Scholar
- Karnachuk OV, Gerasimchuk AL, Banks D, Frengstad B, Stykon GA, Tikhonova ZL, Kaksonen A, Puhakka J, Yanenko AS, Pimenov NV (2009) Bacteria of the sulfur cycle in the sediments of gold mine tailings, Kuznetsk Basin, Russia. Mikrobiologiya 78:483–491Google Scholar
- Karnachuk OV, Kurganskaya IA, Avakyan MR, Frank YA, Ikkert OP, Filenko RA, Danilova EV, Pimenov NV (2015a) An acidophilic Desulfosporosinus isolated from the oxidized mining wastes in the Transbaikal area. Mikrobiologiya 84:595–605Google Scholar
- Karnachuk OV, Mardanov AV, Avakyan MR, Kadnikov VV, Vlasova M, Beletsky AV, Gerasimchuk AL, Ravin NV (2015b) Draft genome sequence of the first acid-tolerant sulfate-reducing deltaproteobacterium Desulfovibrio sp. TomC having potential for mine water treatment. FEMS Microbiol Lett 362(4):fnv007CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Karnachuk OV, Kadnikov VV, Panova IA, Mardanov AV, Beletsky AV, Danilova EV, Avakyan MR, Ravin NV (2017) Genome sequence of the copper resistant and acid-tolerant Desulfosporosinus sp. BG isolated from the tailings of a molybdenum-tungsten mine in the Transbaikal area. Genomics Data 11:106–108CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lane DJ (1991) 16S/23S rRNA Sequencing. In: Stackebrandt E, Goodfellow M (eds) Nucleic acid techniques in bacterial systematics. Wiley, New York, pp 115–175Google Scholar
- Ludwig W, Strunk O, Westram R, Richter L, Meier H, Yadhukumar Buchner A, Lai T, Steppi S, Jobb G, Förster W, Brettske I, Gerber S, Ginhart AW, Gross O, Grumann S, Hermann S, Jost R, König A, Liss T, Lüßmann R, May M, Nonhoff B, Reichel B, Strehlow R, Stamatakis A, Stuckmann N, Vilbig A, Lenke M, Ludwig T, Bode A, Schleifer K-H (2004) ARB: a software environment for sequence data. Nucl Acids Res 32:1363–1371CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mardanov AV, Panova IA, Beletsky AV, Avakyan MR, Kadnikov VV, Antsiferov DV, Banks D, Frank YA, Pimenov NV, Ravin NV, Karnachuk OV (2016) Genomic insight into a new acidophilic, copper-resistant Desulfosporosinus isolate from the oxidised tailings area of an abandoned gold mine. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 92(8):fiw111CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Muyzer G, Hottenträger S, Teske A, Wawer C (1996) Denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis of PCR-amplified 16S rDNA—a new molecular approach to analyse the genetic diversity of mixed microbial communities. In: Akkermans ADL, Van Elsas JD, De Bruijn JD (eds) Molecular microbial ecology manual. Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp 1–23Google Scholar
- Ramel F, Brasseur G, Pieulle L, Valette O, Hirschler-Réa A, Fardeau ML, Dolla A (2015) Growth of the obligate anaerobe Desulfovibrio vulgaris Hildenborough under continuous low oxygen concentration sparging: impact of the membrane-bound oxygen reductases. PLoS ONE 10:e0123455CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Widdel FF, Bak R (1992) Gram negative mesophilic sulfate reducing bacteria. In: Balows A, Trüper HG, Dworkin M, Harder W, Schleifer K-H (eds) The prokaryotes: a handbook on the biology of bacteria: ecophysiology, isolation, identification, applications, 2nd edn. Springer, Berlin, pp 3352–3378Google Scholar