Kazachstania psychrophila sp. nov., a novel psychrophilic yeast isolated from vacuum-packed beef
- 337 Downloads
Five novel ascosporogenous yeast strains (H382, H396, H409, H433T and H441) were found through a survey of vacuum-packed beef microbiota. Sequence analysis of ITS domain and LSU rRNA genes showed that the new strains represent a distinct lineage within the genus Kazachstania, closely related to Kazachstania lodderae (97.0 % identity) and Kazachstania ichnusensis (96.1 % identity). The main difference of strains H382, H396, H409, H433T and H441 to strains of known Kazachstania species is the maximum growth temperature, which is below 20 °C for the new strains, whereas related species grow at 25 °C. Furthermore, the strains differed from known Kazachstania species in assimilation and fermentation patterns of carbon sources. Based on these characteristics, the five strains are considered to represent a novel species of the genus Kazachstania for which the name Kazachstania psychrophila sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain is H433T (DSM 26230T=CBS 12689T). The Mycobank number of the type strain is MB 803980.
KeywordsSaccharomycetaceae Kazachstania sp. nov. Meat spoilage Food Psychrotolerant
The authors thank Petra Peetz and Liane Weber for their excellent technical assistance.
- Kurtzman CP, Robnett CJ, Ward JM, Brayton C, Gorelick P, Walsch TJ (2005) Multigene phylogenetic analysis of pathogenic Candida species in the Kazachstania (Arxiozyma) telluris complex and description of their ascosporic states as Kazachstania bovina sp. nov., K-heterogenica sp. nov., K-pintolopesii sp. nov., and K-slooffiae sp. nov. J Clin Microbiol 43:101–111PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kurtzman CP, Fell JW, Boekhout T (2011a) The yeasts, a taxonomic study. Elsevier, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Vaughan-Martini A, Lachance M-A, Kurtzman CP (2011) Kazachstania Zubkova (1971). In: Kurtzman CP, Fell JW, Boekhout T (eds) The yeasts a taxonomic study, vol 2, 5th edn., Elsevier, London, p 439–470Google Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor J (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide for methods and applications. Academic Press, New York, pp 315–322Google Scholar
- Zubkova RD (1971) New genus of the family Saccharomycetaceae from Kazakhstan. Botanicheskie Materialy Gerbariya Instituta Botaniki Akademii Nauk Kazakhskoi SSR: 53-56Google Scholar