Paenibacillus hordei sp. nov., isolated from naked barley in Korea
- 379 Downloads
A Gram-staining positive, facultative aerobic bacterium, designated strain RH-N24T, was isolated from naked barley in South Korea. Cells of the isolate were observed to be motile rods by means of peritrichous flagella and showed catalase-positive and oxidase-negative reactions. Growth of strain RH-N24T was observed at 4–40 °C (optimum: 35–37 °C) and at pH 5.0–9.0 (optimum: pH 6.0–7.0). Chemotaxonomic data (major isoprenoid quinone: MK-7; DNA G + C content: 53.5 mol %; cell wall type: A1γ-meso-diaminopimelic acid; major fatty acids: anteiso-CB15:0 and CB16:0B) supported the affiliation of the isolate to the genus Paenibacillus. The major cellular polar lipids were identified as phosphatidylethanolamine, diphosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylglycerol and two unidentified polar lipids. Phylogenetic analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences also supported the conclusion that strain RH-N24T belonged to the genus Paenibacillus. Comparative 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis showed that strain RH-N24T was most closely related to Paenibacillus hunanensis FeL05T and Paenibacillus illinoisensis NRRL NRS-1356T with similarities of 94.64 and 94.54 %, respectively. On the basis of phenotypic and molecular properties, strain RH-N24T represents a novel species within the genus Paenibacillus for which the name Paenibacillus hordei sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain is RH-N24T (=KACC 15511T = JCM 17570T).
KeywordsPaenibacillus hordei Novel species Firmicutes Gram-positive bacteria Naked barley
These efforts were supported by the Technology Development Program for Agriculture and Forestry (TDPAF) of the Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and the project on survey and excavation of Korean indigenous species of the National Institute of Biological Resources (NIBR) under the Ministry of Environment, Republic of Korea. The GenBank accession number for the 16S rRNA gene sequence of strain RH-N24T is HQ833590.
- Felsenstein J (2002) PHYLIP (phylogeny inference package), version 3.6a, Seattle: Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USAGoogle Scholar
- Gomori G (1955) Preparation of buffers for use in enzyme studies. In: Colowick SP, Kaplan NO (eds) Methods in enzymology, vol 1. Academic Press, New York, pp 138–146Google Scholar
- Kim JM, Lee HJ, Kim SY, Song JJ, Park W, Jeon CO (2010) Analysis of fine-scale population structure of “Candidatus Accumulibacter phosphatis” using fluorescence in situ hybridization and flow cytometric sorting in enhanced biological phosphorus removal sludge. Appl Environ Microbiol 76:3825–3835PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kishore KH, Begum Z, Pathan AAK, Shivaji S (2010) Paenibacillus glacialis sp. nov., isolated from the Kafni glacier of the Himalayas, India. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 60:1909–1913Google Scholar
- Logan NA, Berge O, Bishop AH, Busse H-J, De Vos P, Fritze D, Heyndrickx M, Kämpfer P, Rabinovitch L, Salkinoja-Salonen MS, Seldin L, Ventosa A (2009) Proposed minimal standards for describing new taxa of aerobic, endospore-forming bacteria. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:2114–2121PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sasser M (1990) Identification of bacteria by gas chromatography of cellular fatty acids. MIDI Technical Note 101. Newark, DE: MIDI IncGoogle Scholar
- Shida O, Takagi H, Kadowaki K, Nakamura LK, Komagata K (1997a) Transfer of Bacillus alginolyticus, Bacillus chondroitinus, Bacillus curdlanolyticus, Bacillus glucanolyticus, Bacillus kobensis, and Bacillus thiaminolyticus to the genus Paenibacillus and emended description of the genus Paenibacillus. Int J Syst Bacteriol 47:289–298PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smibert RM, Krieg NR (1994) Phenotypic characterization. In: Gerhardt P (ed) Methods for general and molecular bacteriology. American Society for Microbiology, Washington D.C., pp 607–654Google Scholar
- Wang L, Baek SH, Cui Y, Lee HG, Lee ST (2012) Paenibacillus sediminis sp. nov., a xylanolytic bacterium isolated from a tidal flat. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 62:1284–1288Google Scholar