Kazachstania intestinalis sp. nov., an ascosporogenous yeast from the gut of passalid beetle Odontotaenius disjunctus
Three ascosporogenous yeast strains were isolated from the gut of the passalid beetle, Odontotaenius disjunctus, inhabiting on rotten oak trees. DNA sequence comparison and other taxonomic characteristics identified the strains as a novel species in the genus Kazachstania. The name Kazachstania intestinalis sp. nov. (type strain EH085T = ATCC MYA-4658T = CBS 11839T) is proposed for the strains. The yeast is homothallic, producing persistent asci with 1–4 spheroidal ascospores. Molecular phylogeny from ribosomal RNA gene sequences placed this novel species on the basal lineage of a clade including Kazachstania lodderae, Kazachstania exigua, Kazachstania martiniae, and other related Kazachstania spp., but none of those species was a close sister to K. intestinalis.
KeywordsInsect associated yeast Gut of beetles Odontotaenius disjunctus Kazachstania intestinalis sp. nov. Molecular phylogeny
We thank members of ATCC Mycology Collection, especially Erica L. Hart for assisting with beetle collection and yeast isolation, and Pushpa Gujjari and Janice L. Houseknecht for helping the yeast characterization. We are also grateful to Dr. Brian Beck for his advice throughout this study. Dr. Albert P. Torzilli allowed us to use his laboratory space in George Mason University for insect dissection. This work was supported in part by National Science Foundation Grant DBI-0548684 and ATCC Summer Internship Program.
- Barnett JA, Payne RW, Yarrow D (2000) Yeasts: Characteristics and identification, 3rd edn. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Gujjari P, Suh S-O, Lee C-F, Zhou JJ (2010) Trichosporon xylopini sp. nov., a hemicellulose-degrading yeast isolated from wood-inhabiting beetle Xylopinus saperdioides. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol (in press). doi: 10.1099/ijs.0.028860-0
- Houseknecht J, Hart E, Suh S-O, Zhou JJ (2010) Yeasts in the Sugiyamaella clade associated with wood-ingesting beetles and the proposal of Candida bullrunensis sp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol (in press). doi: 10.1099/ijs.0.026427-0
- Kurtzman CP, Robnett CJ, Ward JM, Brayton C, Gorelick P, Walsh TJ (2005) Multigene phylogenetic analysis of pathogenic Candida species in the Kazachstania (Arxiozyma) telluris complex and description of their ascosporic states as Kazachstania bovina sp. nov., K. heterogenica sp. nov., K. pintolopesii sp. nov., and K. slooffiae sp. nov. J Clin Microbiol 43:101–111PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swofford DL (2002) PAUP. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods), version 4.0b10. Sinauer Associates, SunderlandGoogle Scholar
- Zubkova RD (1971) Genus novum Saccharomycetacearum e Kazachstania. Bot Mater Gerb Inst Bot Akad Nauk Kazakh SSR 7:53–56 (in Russian)Google Scholar