Synergistic bactericidal activity of Eremanthus erythropappus oil or β-bisabolene with ampicillin against Staphylococcus aureus
- 333 Downloads
The activity of Eremanthus erythropappus oil (EO) and some of its compounds and their potential synergistic interaction with ampicillin against different strains of Staphylococcus aureus were investigated. Determination of chemical composition of EO by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS) and bioguided chemical fractionation led to the identification of β-bisabolene as the main active compound. A synergistic bactericidal activity of EO or β-bisabolene with ampicillin against Staphylococcus aureus was observed in a time-kill assay. EO and β- bisabolene have the potential to restore the effectiveness of ampicillin against resistant S. aureus.
KeywordsEremanthuserythropappus Eremanthus erythropappus oil β-bisabolene Staphylococcus aureus Ampicillin Synergism
Eremanthus erythropappus oil
The authors are indebted to Givaudan Roure do Basil (São Paulo, Brazil) for supplying the authentic volatile compounds. This work was supported by a FAPEMIG grant CBB-1106/03.
- Adams RP (2001) Identification of essential oil components by gas chromatography mass spectrometry. Allured Pub. Corp., Carol Stream, IllinoisGoogle Scholar
- Ammon HPT, Sabieraj J, Kamille KR (1996) Mechanismus derantiphlogistischen wirkung von Kamillenextract und Inhaltsstoffen. Dtsch Apoth Ztg 36:1821–1834Google Scholar
- Braun NA, Meier M, Kohlenberg B, Hammeschmidt FJ (2003) Two new bisabolene diols from the stem wood essential oil of Vanillosmopsis erytropappa Schultz-Bi (Asteraceae). J Essent Oil Res 15:139–142Google Scholar
- Kuroda M, Ohta T, Uchiyama I, Baba T, Yuzawa H, Kobayashi I, Cui L, Oguchi A, Aoki K-I, Nagai Y, Lian J, Ito T, Kanamori M, Matsumaru H, Maruyama A, Murakami H, Hosoyama A, Mizutani-Ui Y, Takahashi NK, Sawano T, Inoue R-I, Kaito C, Sekimizu K, Hirakawa H, Kuhara S, Goto S, Yabuzaki J, Kanehisa M, Yamashita A, Oshima K, Furuya K, Yoshino C, Shiba T, Hattori M (2002) Whole genome sequencing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Lancet 357:1225–1240CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lopes JNC, Lopes JLC, Vichnewsky WR, Dioneia C, Gottlieb OR (1991) Chemical variability of Vanillosmopsis erytropappa. Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 63:21–22Google Scholar
- Mendes MN, Queiroz RO, Grandi TSM, Anjos AMG, Oliveira AB, Zani CL (1999) Screening of Asteraceae (Compositae) plant extracts for molluscicidal activity. Mem I Oswaldo Cruz 94:411–412Google Scholar
- Menezes AMS, Almeida FRC, Rao VSN (1990). Anti-inflammatory activity of the essential oil of Vanillosmopsis arborea. Fitoterapia 61:252–254Google Scholar
- Nascimento GGF, Locatelli J, Freitas PC, Silva GL (2000) Antibacterial activity of plant extracts and phytochemicals on antibiotic-resistance bacteria. Braz J Microbiol 31:247–256Google Scholar
- Swigar AA, Silverstein RM (1981) Monoterpenes. Aldrich Chemical Co. Inc., Milwaukee, WIGoogle Scholar
- Von Sydow E. (1963) Mass spectrometry of terpenes monoterpenes alcohol. Acta Chem Scand 17:2504–2512Google Scholar