Stochastic facility location model for drones considering uncertain flight distance
- 555 Downloads
This paper developed a stochastic modelling framework to determine the locations and transport capacities of drone facilities for effectively coping with a disaster. The developed model is applicable to emergency planning that incorporates drones into humanitarian logistics while taking into account the uncertain characteristics of drone operating conditions. Because of the importance of speedy decision making in disaster management, a heuristic algorithm was developed using Benders decomposition, which generates time-efficient high-quality solutions. The linear programming rounding method was used to make the algorithm efficient. Computational experiments demonstrated the superiority of the developed algorithm, and a sensitivity analysis was carried out to gain additional insights.
KeywordsHumanitarian logistics Facility location Stochastic programming Drone
The authors are grateful for the valuable comments from anonymous reviewers. This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MSIT) [NRF-2017R1A2B2007812]; the Basic Science Research Program through the NRF funded by the Ministry of Education (NRF-2015R1D1A1A01057719).
- Chu, Y., & Xia, Q. (2004). Generating benders cuts for a general class of integer programming problems. In J. C. Régin & M. Rueher (Eds.) Integration of AI and OR techniques in constraint programming for combinatorial optimization problems (Vol. 3011, pp. 127–141). CPAIOR 2004. Lecture notes in computer science. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Kim, S.J., Lim, G.J., & Cho, J. (2017). A robust optimization approach for scheduling drones considering uncertainty of battery duration. In Proceedings of the 2017 industrial and systems engineering conference (pp. 187–192), Center Pittsburgh; United States.Google Scholar
- Merwaday, A., & Guvenc, I. (2015). UAV assisted heterogeneous networks for public safety communications. In Proceedings of 2015 IEEE wireless communications and networking conference workshops, WCNCW 2015 (pp. 329–334), New Orleans, United States.Google Scholar
- Shavarani, S. M., Nejad, M. G., Rismanchian, F., & Izbirak, G. (2018). Application of hierarchical facility location problem for optimization of a drone delivery system: a case study of Amazon prime air in the city of San Francisco. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology,95, 3141–3153.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shmoys, D., Tardos, E., & Aardal, K. (1997). Approximation algorithms for facility location problems. In Proceedings of the 29th ACM symposium on the theory of computing (pp. 265–274), Assoc. for Computing Machinery, Seattle, WA.Google Scholar
- Zhang, B., Peng, J., & Li, S. (2017). Covering location problem of emergency service facilities in an uncertain environment. Applied Mathematical Modelling,51, 2017.Google Scholar