On the multidimensional Black–Scholes partial differential equation
In this article, two general results are provided about the multidimensional Black–Scholes partial differential equation: its fundamental solution is derived, and it is shown how to turn it into the standard heat equation in whatever dimension. A fundamental connection is established between the multivariate normal distribution and the linear second order partial differential operator of parabolic type. These results allow to compute new closed form formulae for the valuation of multiasset options, with possible boundary crossing conditions, thus partially alleviating the « curse of dimensionality », at least in moderate dimension.
KeywordsBlack–Scholes multidimensional equation Multiasset option Dimension Parabolic Mixed derivative Multivariate normal distribution Heat equation Option on the maximum Double barrier
- Carslaw, H. S., & Jaeger, J. C. (1959). Conduction of heat in solids. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Guillaume, T. (2017). Computation of the quadrivariate and pentavariate normal cumulative distribution functions. Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610918.2017.1295151.
- Hull, J. (2017). Options, futures and other derivatives (10th ed.). London: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Kronrod, A. S. (1964). (Russian), Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR, 154, 283–286.Google Scholar
- O, H. C., Ro, Y. H., & Wan, N. (2013). A method of reducing dimension of space variables in multidimensional Black-Scholes equations. Available at SSRN: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.726623.
- Singh, J. P., & Prabakaran, S. (2008). Group properties of the Black Scholes equation & its solutions. Electronic Journal of Theoretical Physics, 5(18), 51–60.Google Scholar
- Stroock, D. W., & Varadhan, S. R. S. (1979). Multidimensional diffusion processes. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Wilmott, P., Howison, S., & Dewynne, J. (1998). The mathematics of financial derivatives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar