On the complexity of the Unit Commitment Problem
- 76 Downloads
This article analyzes how the Unit Commitment Problem (UCP) complexity evolves with respect to the number n of units and T of time periods. A classical reduction from the knapsack problem shows that the UCP is NP-hard in the ordinary sense even for \(T=1\). The main result of this article is that the UCP is strongly NP-hard. When the constraints are restricted to minimum up and down times, the UCP is shown to be polynomial for a fixed n. When either a unitary cost or amount of power is considered, the UCP is polynomial for \(T=1\) and strongly NP-hard for arbitrary T. The pricing subproblem commonly used in a UCP decomposition scheme is also shown to be strongly NP-hard for a subset of units.
KeywordsUnit Commitment Problem Complexity Dynamic programming Subproblem of decomposition scheme
The authors would like to thank Christoph Dürr for fruitful discussions.
- Bendotti, P., Fouilhoux, P., & Rottner, C. (2018). The min-up/min-down unit commitment polytope. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10878-018-0273-y.
- Cohen, G. (1978). Optimization by decomposition and coordination: A unified approach. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 1978, 23.Google Scholar
- Gentile, C., Morales-Espana, G., & Ramos, A. (2016). A tight MIP formulation of the unit commitment problem with start-up and shut-down constraints. EURO Journal on Computational Optimization, 5, 1–25.Google Scholar
- Knueven, B., Ostrowski, J., & Wang, J. (2017). The ramping polytope and cut generation for the unit commitment problem. INFORMS Journal on Computing (to appear).Google Scholar
- Pan, K., & Guan, Y. (2016). A polyhedral study of the integrated minimum-up/-down time and ramping polytope. Optimization Online. http://www.optimization-online.org/DB_HTML/2015/08/5070.html.
- Pan, K., Zhou, K., & Guan, Y. (2016b). Polynomial time algorithms and extended formulations for unit commitment problems. ArXiv e-prints.Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou, C., & Steiglitz, K. (1982). Combinatorial optimization: Algorithms and complexity. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Rajan, D., & Takriti, S. (2005). Minimum up/down polytopes of the unit commitment problem with start-up costs. IBM Research Report.Google Scholar
- Tseng, C. (1996). On power system generation unit commitment problems. Ph.D. thesis, UC Berkeley.Google Scholar