Reducing the cost of humanitarian operations through disaster preparation and preparedness
- 238 Downloads
While there have been claims that disaster preparation and preparedness reduce the cost of humanitarian disaster response, there is little substantiated evidence to support this claim. We investigate this relationship using data from 2002 through 2014 of 71 OECD countries that received disaster assistance. We find that investing in disaster preparation and preparedness has no significant reduction on the cost of emergency response and that it in fact drives up the cost of emergency response in the following year. Additionally, we find no support that investing in disaster preparation and preparedness reduces the number of people affected or the number of deaths resulting from natural disasters. We conclude by discussing these results and provide insights toward future research.
KeywordsHumanitarian logistics Humanitarian operations Disaster management Humanitarian organizations Disaster policy
- Guha-Sapir, D., Below, R., & Hoyois, P. (2016). EM-DAT: International Disaster Database. Brussels, Belgium. Retrieved from www.emdat.be.
- Ho, Y. (2016). Indonesia tsunami buoys stolen or broken, disaster agency says. Retrieved March 1, 2017, from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-03/indonesia-tsunami-buoys-stolen-or-broken-disaster-agency-says.
- Indonesia tsunami warning buoys failed when quake hit–officials. (2016). Retrieved January 1, 2017, from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/03/indonesia-tsunami-warning-buoys-failed-when-quake-hit-officials.
- Kelman, I. (2014). Disaster mitigation is cost effective. World Development Report, CICERO, Norway.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2016). ODA by sector humanitarian aid. doi: 10.1787/a5a1f674-en.
- Oloruntoba, R., Hossain, G. F., & Wagner, B. (2016). Theory in humanitarian operations research. Annals of Operations Research, 1–18. doi: 10.1007/s10479-016-2378-y.
- Sushil. (2017). Theory building using SAP-LAP linkages: an application in the context of disaster management. Annals of Operations Research, 1–26. doi: 10.1007/s10479-017-2425-3.
- Union of International Associations. (2016). Yearbook of International Organizations. Retrieved July 14, 2016, from http://www.uia.org.
- United Nations Development Programme. (2012). Act Now, Save Later: new UN social media campaign launched. Retrieved March 1, 2017, from http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/presscenter/articles/2012/07/02/act-now-save-later-new-un-social-media-campaign-launched-.html.
- World Bank. (2016). World development indicators. Retrieved June 20, 2016, from http://data.worldbank.org.