Data-driven combinatorial optimization for sensor-based assessment of near falls
- 82 Downloads
Falls represent a considerable public health problem, especially in older population. We describe and evaluate data-driven operations research models for detection and situational assessment of falls and near falls with a system of wearable sensors. The models are formulated as instances of the multidimensional assignment problem. Our computational studies provide some initial empirical evidence of the potential usefulness of this new application of the multidimensional assignment problem.
KeywordsThe multidimensional assignment problem Falls and near falls Systems of wearable sensors
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support from the National Science Foundation grant EEC-1342415.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Unintentional Injury Prevention. Important Facts about Falls. http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html (online) Accessed January 21, 2016
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Webbased Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS). http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/ (online) Accessed August 15, 2013.
- Kammerdiner, A. R. (2008). Multidimensional assignment problem. In: Encyclopedia of Optimization, Springer, pp. 2396–2402.Google Scholar
- Li, Q., Stankovic, J. A., Hanson, M. A., Barth, A. T., Lach, J., & Zhou, G. (2009). Accurate, fast fall detection using gyroscopes and accelerometer-derived posture information. In: Sixth International Workshop on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks, 2009. BSN 2009, IEEE, pp. 138–143.Google Scholar
- Myford, C. M., & Wolfe, E. W. (2003). Detecting and measuring rater effects using many-facet Rasch measurement: Part I. Journal of Applied Measurement, 4(4), 386–422.Google Scholar
- Noury, N., Fleury, A., Rumeau, P., Bourke, A. K., Laighin, G. O., Rialle, V., Lundy, J. E. (2007) Fall detection-principles and methods. In 29th Annual International Conference of the IEEE On Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2007. EMBS 2007, IEEE, pp. 1663–1666.Google Scholar
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. World Population Prospects: The 2010, Volume II: Demographic Profiles. http://esa.un.org/wpp/country-profiles/pdf/840.pdf(online) Accessed on April 23, (2013)
- World Health Organization. Are you ready? What you need to know about ageing. World Health Day 2012—Toolkit for event organizers. http://www.who.int/world-health-day/2012/toolkit/background/en/ (online) Accessed on January 21, 2016.