Robust risk budgeting
- 343 Downloads
Risk based portfolio construction and particular risk parity or equally weighted risk contribution became popular among practitioners. These approaches focus only on risk and are agnostic with respect to the expected returns. In this paper, we consider risk budgeting; a generalization of risk parity. We propose an alternative formulation that is more efficient computationally. We introduce the robust risk budgeting, a robust variant of the standard risk budgeting that deals with the uncertainty in the input parameters. We show that the problem remains tractable under different types of uncertainty. We evaluate the proposed framework on real data and we observe a positive premium associated with the robust variant.
KeywordsRobust Risk Parity Budgeting Contribution
The authors would like to thank Dr. G. A. Hanasusanto for helpful discussions regarding Appendix A. They also acknowledge partial support of the EPSRC (EP/I014640/1) for the third author and thank the anonymous referees for the comments and suggestions.
- Appell, D. (2009). Bridgewater under the weather. Pensions and Investements.Google Scholar
- Artzner, P., Delbaen, F., Eber, J. M. & Heath, D. (1999). Coherent measures of risk. Mathematical Finance, 9(3), 203–228.Google Scholar
- Asness, C., Frazzini, A., & Pedersen, L. (2012). Leverage aversion and risk parity. Financial Analysts Journal, 68(1), 47–59.Google Scholar
- Bruder, B., & Roncalli, T. (2012). Managing risk exposures using the risk budgeting approach. Working Paper, Lyxor.Google Scholar
- Chaves, D. B., Hsu, J. C., Li, F., & Shakernia, O. (2011). Parity portfolio vs. other asset allocation heuristic portfolios. Journal of Investing, 20(1), 108–118.Google Scholar
- Downing, C., Madhavan, A., Singh, A., & Ulitsky, A. (2015). Portfolio construction and tail risk. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Jensen, M. C., Black, F., & Scholes, M. S. (1972). The capital asset pricing model: Some empirical tests. In M. C. Jensen (Ed.), Studies in the theory of capital markets. New York: Praeger. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=908569.
- Markowitz, H. (1952). Portfolio selection. The Journal of Finance, 7(1), 77–91.Google Scholar
- Roncalli, T. (2013). Introduction to risk parity and budgeting. Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Viceira, L. M. (2007). Life-cycle funds. Harvard Business School, Harvard University, Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Zhu, S., & Fukushima, M. (2009). Worst-case conditional value-at-risk with application to robust portfolio management. Operations Research, 57(5), 1155–1168.Google Scholar