Hybrid constructive heuristics for the critical node problem
- 228 Downloads
We consider the Critical Node Problem: given an undirected graph and an integer number K, at most K nodes have to be deleted from the graph in order to minimize a connectivity measure in the residual graph. We combine the basic steps used in common greedy algorithms with some flavour of local search, in order to obtain simple hybrid heuristic algorithms. The obtained algorithms are shown to be effective, delivering improved performances (solution quality and speed) with respect to known greedy algorithms and other more sophisticated state of the art methods.
KeywordsCritical node problem Graph fragmentation Hybrid heuristics
- Aringhieri, R., Grosso, A., Hosteins, P., & Scatamacchia, R. (2015). VNS solutions for the critical node problem. In Proceedings of the VNS’14 conference. Electronic notes in discrete mathematics (Vol. 47, pp. 37–44).Google Scholar
- Dinh, T. N., & Thai, M. T. (2011). Precise structural vulnerability assessment via mathematical programming. In MILCOM 2011–2011 IEEE military communications conference (pp. 1351–1356).Google Scholar
- Edalatmanesh, M. (2013). Heuristics for the critical node detection problem in large complex networks. Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University, St. Catharines, ON.Google Scholar
- Golden, B. L., & Shier, D. R. (Eds.) (2014). Network interdiction applications and extensions. Virtual Issue on Networks. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1097-0037/homepage/virtual_issue_-_network_interdiction_applications_and_extensions.htm.
- Papadimitriou, C., & Steiglitz, K. (1982). Combinatorial optimization: Algorithms and complexity. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Walteros, J., & Pardalos, P. (2012). Selected topics in critical element detection. In N. J. Daras (Ed.), Applications of mathematics and informatics in military science, Springer optimization and its applications (Vol. 71, pp. 9–26). New York: Springer. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-4109-0_2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar