Repairing high school timetables with polymorphic ejection chains
This paper introduces polymorphic ejection chains, and applies them to the problem of repairing time assignments in high school timetables while preserving regularity. An ejection chain is a sequence of repairs, each of which removes a defect introduced by the previous repair. Just as the elements of a polymorphic list may have different types, so in a polymorphic ejection chain the individual repairs may have different types. Methods for the efficient realization of these ideas, implemented in the author’s KHE framework, are given, and some initial experiments are presented.
KeywordsHigh school timetabling Ejection chains
- Ásgeirsson, E. I. (2010). Bridging the gap between self schedules and feasible schedules in staff scheduling. In Eighth international conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling, PATAT2010, Belfast. Google Scholar
- Kim, M.-J., & Chung, T.-C. (1997). Development of automatic course timetabler for university. In Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on the practice and theory of automated timetabling (pp. 182–186). Google Scholar
- Kingston, J. H. (2010a). The KHE High School timetabling engine. http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/khe.
- Kingston, J. H. (2010b). The HSEval High School timetable evaluator. http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/hseval.cgi.
- Morgernstern, C., & Shapiro, H. (1989). Chromatic number approximation using simulated annealing. Technical report CS86-1, Department of Computer Science, University of New Mexico. Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou, C. H., & Steiglitz, K. (1982). Combinatorial optimization: algorithms and complexity. New York: Prentice Hall. Google Scholar
- Parkes, A. J. (2010). Combined Blackbox and AlgebRaic Architecture (CBRA). In Eighth international conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling, PATAT2010, Belfast. Google Scholar
- Post, G., Kingston, J. H., Ahmadi, S., Daskalaki, S., Gogos, C., Kyngäs, J., Nurmi, C., Musliu, N., Pillay, N., Santos, H., & Schaerf, A. (2011). XHSTT: an XML archive for high school timetabling problems in different countries. Annals of Operations Research. doi: 10.1007/s10479-011-1012-2. Google Scholar
- Post, G. (2011). High school timetabling web site. http://www.utwente.nl/ctit/hstt/.
- Ryan, D. M., & Rezanova, N. J. (2010). The train driver recovery problem—solution method and decision support system framework. In Eighth international conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling, PATAT2010, Belfast. Google Scholar
- Thompson, J., & Dowsland, K. A. (1995). General cooling schedules for a simulated annealing based timetabling system. In Springer lecture notes in computer science: Vol. 1153. First international conference on Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling, PATAT1995, Edinburgh (pp. 262–345). Google Scholar