Scheduling issues in vehicle routing
- 858 Downloads
Scheduling often plays an important role in vehicle routing. This paper describes several applications in which the author has been involved in recent years. These arise in the dial-a-ride problem, speed optimization in routing problems, the pollution-routing problem, long-haul vehicle routing and scheduling with working hour rules, and synchronization in arc routing.
KeywordsVehicle routing Scheduling Arc routing Time windows Speed
This work was partly funded by the Canadian Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council under grant 39682-10. This support is gratefully acknowledged. The author thanks several of his coauthors who have taken part in the projects described in this study: Tolga Bektas, François Bellavance, Gerardo Berbeglia, Jean-François Cordeau, Emrah Demir, Kjetil Fagerholt, Lars Magnus Hvattum, André Langevin, Inge Norstad, Julie Paquette, Marta M.B. Pascoal, Marie-Ève Rancourt and Angélica M. Salazar-Aguilar. Thanks are also due to Ola Jabali who kindly commented on an earlier version of the manuscript, and to the referees for their valuable comments.
- Barth, M., Younglove, T., & Scora, G. (2005). Development of a heavy-duty diesel modal emissions and fuel consumption model. Technical report UCP-ITS-PRR-2005-1, California PATH Program, Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California at Berkeley. Google Scholar
- Gehring, H., & Homberger, J. A. (1999). A parallel hybrid evolutionary metaheuristic for the vehicle routing with time windows. In K. Miettinen, M. M. Makela, & J. Toivanen (Eds.), Proceedings of EUROGEN99, Jyväskiä, Finland. Google Scholar
- Goel, A., & Rousseau, L.-M. (2011). Truck driver scheduling in Canada. Journal of Scheduling, forthcoming. Google Scholar
- Hvattum, L. M., Norstad, I., Fagerholt, K., & Laporte, G. (2013). Analysis of an exact algorithm for the vessel speed optimization problem. Networks, forthcoming. Google Scholar
- McKinnon, A. (2007). CO2 emissions from freight transport in the UK. Technical report prepared for the Climate Change Working Group of the Commission for Integrated Transport. London, UK. http://www.isotrak.com/news/press/CO2_emissions_freight_transport.pdf. Accessed 11 February 2011.
- Paquette, J. (2010). Mesure de la qualité de service et conception de tournées en transport adapté. Ph.D. thesis, HEC, Montréal, Canada. Google Scholar