An interior-point Benders based branch-and-cut algorithm for mixed integer programs
- 734 Downloads
We present an interior-point branch-and-cut algorithm for structured integer programs based on Benders decomposition and the analytic center cutting plane method (ACCPM). We show that the ACCPM based Benders cuts are both pareto-optimal and valid for any node of the branch-and-bound tree. The valid cuts are added to a pool of cuts that is used to warm-start the solution of the nodes after branching. The algorithm is tested on two classes of problems: the capacitated facility location problem and the multicommodity capacitated fixed charge network design problem. For the capacitated facility location problem, the proposed approach was on average 2.5 times faster than Benders-branch-and-cut and 11 times faster than classical Benders decomposition. For the multicommodity capacitated fixed charge network design problem, the proposed approach was 4 times faster than Benders-branch-and-cut while classical Benders decomposition failed to solve the majority of the tested instances.
KeywordsBenders decomposition Analytic center cutting plane method Branch-and-bound Branch-and-cut
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bahn, O., du Merle, O., Goffin, J.-L., & Vial, J.-P. (1995). A cutting plane method from analytic centers for stochastic programming. Mathematical Programming, 69(1), 45–73. Google Scholar
- Fischetti, M., Salvagnin, D., & Zanette, A. (2010). Minimal infeasible subsystems and Benders’ cuts. Technical Report, University of Padova. Google Scholar
- Gondzio, J. (1998). Warm start of the primal-dual method applied in the cutting plane scheme. Mathematical Programming, 83, 125–143. Google Scholar
- Kelley, J. (1960). The cutting plane method for solving convex programs. Journal of the SIAM, 8, 703–712. Google Scholar
- Levin, A. (1965). An algorithm of minimization of convex functions. Soviet Mathematics Doklady, 160, 1244–1247. Google Scholar
- Mervet, P. (1977). Fixed charge network flow problems: Applications and methods of solution. In Large Scale and Hirarchical Systems Workshop, Brussels. Google Scholar
- Nesterov, Y. (1995). Complexity estimates of some cutting plane methods based on the analytic barrier. Mathematical Programming, 69(1), 149–176. Google Scholar
- Sonnevend, G. (1988). New algorithms in convex programming based on a notion of “centre” (for systems of analytic inequalities) and on rational extrapolation. In K. Hoffman, J. Hiriat-Urruty, C. Lemarechal, & J. Zowe (Eds.), Trends in Mathematical Optimization: Proceedings of the 4th French-German Conference on Optimization in Isree, West Germany, 1986 (Vol. 84, pp. 311–327). Berlin: Springer. CrossRefGoogle Scholar