An XML format for benchmarks in High School Timetabling
- 1k Downloads
The High School Timetabling Problem is amongst the most widely used timetabling problems. This problem has varying structures in different high schools even within the same country or educational system. Due to lack of standard benchmarks and data formats this problem has been studied less than other timetabling problems in the literature. In this paper we describe the High School Timetabling Problem in several countries in order to find a common set of constraints and objectives. Our main goal is to provide exchangeable benchmarks for this problem. To achieve this we propose a standard data format suitable for different countries and educational systems, defined by an XML schema. The schema and datasets are available online.
KeywordsTimetabling High school Benchmark Xml Scheduling
- Birbas, T., Daskalaki, S., & Housos, E. (1997). Timetabling for Greek high schools. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 48, 1191–1200. Google Scholar
- Burke, E. K., McCollum, B., McMullan, P., & Qu, R. (2006). Examination timetabling: a new formulation. In: Proceedings of the sixth international conference of the practice and theory of automated timetabling (PATAT 2006), Brno, 2006 (pp. 373–375). Google Scholar
- Carter, M., Laporte, G., & Lee, S. T. (1996). Examination timetabling: algorithmic strategies and applications. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 47, 373–383. Google Scholar
- Chand, A. (2004). A constraint based generic model for representing complete university timetabling data. In: Proceedings of the fifth international conference on the practice and theory of automated timetabling (PATAT 2004), Pittsburgh, 2004 (pp. 125–148). Google Scholar
- Cumming, A., & Paechter, B. (2005). Standard formats for timetabling data. Unpublished discussion session at the first international conference on the practice and theory of automated timetabling, Edinburgh, 2005. Google Scholar
- Curtois, T. (2006). Nurse rostering web site. http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~tec/NRP/.
- De Causmaecker, P., Demeester, P., De Pauw-Waterschoot, P., & Vanden Berghe, G. (2000). Ontology for timetabling. In: Proceedings of the third international conference on the practice and theory of automated timetabling (PATAT 2000), Konstanz, 2000 (pp. 481–482). Google Scholar
- De Causmaecker, P., Demeester, P., Lu, Y., & Vanden Berghe, G. (2002). Using web standards for timetabling. In: Proceedings of the fourth international conference on the practice and theory of automated timetabling (PATAT 2002), Gent, 2002 (pp. 238–257). Google Scholar
- de Haan, P., Landman, R., Post, G., & Ruizenaar, H. (2007). A case study for timetabling in a Dutch secondary school. In E. Burke & H. Rudová (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science : Vol. 3867. Practice and theory of automated timetabling VI (pp. 267–279). Berlin: Springer. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kingston, J. H. (2009). The HSEval High School Timetable Evaluator. http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/hseval.cgi.
- Monteiro da Mata, J., Luiz de Senna, A., & Augusto de Andrade, M. (1997). Towards a language for the specification of timetabling problems. In Proceedings of the second international conference on the practice and theory of automated timetabling (PATAT’97), Toronto, 1997 (pp. 330–333). Google Scholar
- Nurmi, K., & Kyngas, J. (2007). A framework for school timetabling problem. In: Proceedings of the 3rd multidisciplinary international scheduling conference: theory and applications, Paris, 2007 (pp. 386–393). Google Scholar
- Özcan, E. (2003). Towards an XML-based standard for timetabling problems: TTML, multidisciplinary Scheduling: theory and applications. In First international conference, MISTA ’03, Nottingham, Selected Papers (2005) (pp. 163–185). Google Scholar
- Paechter, B. (2003). International timetabling competition. http://www.idsia.ch/Files/ttcomp2002/.
- Post, G. (2008). High school timetabling web site. http://wwwhome.math.utwente.nl/~postgf/BenchmarkSchoolTimetabling/.
- Willemen, R. J. (2002). School timetable construction; algorithms and complexity. PhD thesis, Technical University Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Google Scholar
- Wright, M. (1996). School timetabling using heuristic search. Journal of Operational Research Society, 47, 347–357. Google Scholar