An efficient model formulation for level of repair analysis
- 1.1k Downloads
Given a product design and a repair network, a level of repair analysis (lora) determines for each component in the product (1) whether it should be discarded or repaired upon failure and (2) at which echelon in the repair network to do this. The objective of the lora is to minimize the total (variable and fixed) costs. We propose an ip model that generalizes the existing models, based on cases that we have seen in practice. Analysis of our model reveals that the integrality constraints on a large number of binary variables can be relaxed without yielding a fractional solution. As a result, we are able to solve problem instances of a realistic size in a couple of seconds on average. Furthermore, we suggest some improvements to the lora analysis in the current literature.
KeywordsMaintenance Supply chain management Level of repair analysis Mixed integer programming
- Ahuja, R. K., Magnanti, T. L., & Orlin, J. B. (1993). Network flows. Theory, algorithms, and applications. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall. Google Scholar
- Barros, L. L. (1998). The optimization of repair decisions using life-cycle cost parameters. IMA Journal of Mathematics Applied in Business & Industry, 9, 403–413. Google Scholar
- Cornuejols, G., Nemhauser, G. L., & Wolsey, L. A. (1990). The uncapacitated facility location problem. In P. B. Mirchandani & R. L. Francis (Eds.), Discrete location theory (pp. 119–171). New York: Wiley. Chap. 3. Google Scholar
- Daskin, M. S. (1995). Network and discrete location: Models, algorithms, and applications. New York: Wiley. Google Scholar
- Deloitte (2006). The service revolution in global manufacturing industries. Google Scholar
- edcas (2007). http://www.itemuk.com/edcas.html, last checked on 25 July 2007.
- Gertsbakh, I. (2000). Reliability theory. With applications to preventive maintenance. Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Muckstadt, J. A. (2005). Analysis and algorithms for service parts supply chains. New York: Springer. Google Scholar
- price-hl (2007). http://www.pricesystems.com/products/price_hl.asp, last checked on 25 July 2007.
- Sherbrooke, C. C. (2004). Optimal inventory modelling of systems. Multi-echelon techniques (2nd ed.). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic. Google Scholar
- United Kingdom Ministry of Defence (1998). Integrated Logistic Support. Part 1: Logistic Support Analysis (LSA) and Logistic Support Analysis Record (LSAR) (Issue 2). Google Scholar
- United States Department of Defense (1993). MIL-STD-1388-1A Logistics Support Analysis (Notice 4). Google Scholar
- United States Department of Defense (1997). MIL-HDBK-502 Acquisition Logistics. Google Scholar