Crop rotation scheduling with adjacency constraints
- 390 Downloads
In this article we propose a 0-1 optimization model to determine a crop rotation schedule for each plot in a cropping area. The rotations have the same duration in all the plots and the crops are selected to maximize plot occupation. The crops may have different production times and planting dates. The problem includes planting constraints for adjacent plots and also for sequences of crops in the rotations. Moreover, cultivating crops for green manuring and fallow periods are scheduled into each plot. As the model has, in general, a great number of constraints and variables, we propose a heuristics based on column generation. To evaluate the performance of the model and the method, computational experiments using real-world data were performed. The solutions obtained indicate that the method generates good results.
KeywordsInteger linear programming Crop rotation Column generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altieri, M. A. (1995). Agroecology: the science of sustainable agriculture. Boulder: Westview Press. Google Scholar
- Diestel, R. (2000). Graph theory. Graduate texts in mathematics. New York: Springer. Google Scholar
- Filgueira, F. A. R. (2003). Novo manual de olericultura. Viçosa: UFV. Google Scholar
- Gliessman, S. R. (2000). Agroecology:ecological processes in sustainable agriculture. Ann Arbor Chelsea. Google Scholar
- Hildreth, C. G., & Reiter, S. (1949). On the choice of a crop rotation plan. In T. C. Koopmans (Ed.), Proceedings of the conference on linear programming held in Chicago (pp. 177–188). Google Scholar
- ILOG CPLEX 10.1 reference manual. 10.1. Copyright by ILOG, France, 2006. Google Scholar
- Santos, R. H. S. (2005). Olericultura orgânica. In P. C. R. Fontes (Ed.), Olericultura: teoria e prática (pp. 249–276). Viçosa: UFV. Cap. 18. Google Scholar
- Souza, J. L., & Resende, P. L. (2006). Manual de horticultura orgânica. Viçosa: Aprenda Fácil. Google Scholar
- Vandermeer, J. H. (1989). The ecology of intercropping. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Google Scholar