An acceleration of Erlenkotter-Körkel’s algorithms for the uncapacitated facility location problem
- 143 Downloads
This contribution is focused on an acceleration of branch and bound algorithms for the uncapacitated facility location problem. Our approach is based on the well-known Erlenkotters’ procedures and Körkels’ multi-ascent and multi-adjustment algorithms, which have proved to be the efficient tools for solving the large-sized instances of the uncapacitated facility location problem. These two original approaches were examined and a thorough analysis of their performance revealed how each particular procedure contributes to the computational time of the whole algorithms. These analyses helped us to focus our effort on the most frequent procedures. The unique contribution of this paper is a new dual ascent procedure. This procedure leads to considerable acceleration of the lower bound computation process and reduces the resulting computational time. To demonstrate more efficient performance of amended algorithms we present the results of extensive numerical experiments.
KeywordsBranch and bound Uncapacitated facility location problem Dual ascent algorithm DualLoc PDLoc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alves, M. L., & Almeida, M. T. (1992). Simulated annealing algorithm for simple plant location problem. Revista investigación, 12. Google Scholar
- Bilde, O., & Krarup, J. (1977). Sharp lower bounds and efficient algorithms for the simple plant location problem. Annals of Discrete Mathematics, 1, 77–97. Google Scholar
- Cornuejols, G., Nemhauser, G. L., & Wolsey, L. A. (1990). The uncapacitated facility location problem. In P. B. Mirchandani, & R. L. Francis (Eds.), Discrete location theory (pp. 119–171). New York: Wiley. Google Scholar
- Crainic, T. G. (2003). Long-haul freight transportation. In Handbook of transportation science. New York: Springer. Google Scholar
- Janáček, J. (2004). Service system design in the public and private sectors. In Proceedings of the International Conference: Mathematical Methods in Economics Virt (pp. 101–108). Google Scholar
- Janáček, J., & Kovačiková, J. (1997). Exact solution techniques for large location problems. In Proceedings of the International Conference: Mathematical Methods in Economics (pp. 80–84). Ostrava. Google Scholar
- Labbé, M., & Louveaux, F. V. (1997). Location problem. In N. DellAmico, F. Maffioli, & S. Martello (Eds.), Annotated bibliographies in combinatorial optimization (pp. 264–271). New York: Wiley. Google Scholar