Multi-agent single machine scheduling
We consider the scheduling problems arising when several agents, each owning a set of nonpreemptive jobs, compete to perform their respective jobs on one shared processing resource. Each agent wants to minimize a certain cost function, which depends on the completion times of its jobs only. The cost functions we consider in this paper are maximum of regular functions (associated with each job), number of late jobs and total weighted completion time. The different combinations of the cost functions of each agent lead to various problems, whose computational complexity is analysed in this paper. In particular, we investigate the problem of finding schedules whose cost for each agent does not exceed a given bound for each agent.
KeywordsMulti-agent Scheduling Complexity Multi-criteria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, Y., Y. Peng, T. Finin, Y. Labrou, S. Cost, B. Chu, J. Yao’, R. Sun, and B. Wilhelm. (1999). “A Negotiation-Based Multi-Agent System for Supply Chain Management.” In Proc. of the Agents’99 Workshop “Agent-Based Decision-Support for Managing the Internet-Enabled Supply-Chain,” Seattle, WA, pp. 15–20.Google Scholar
- Conway, R.W., W.L. Maxwell, and L.W. Miller. (1967). Theory of Scheduling. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- Huang, X. and J.C. Hallam. (1995). “Spring-Based Negotiation for Conflict Resolution in AGV Scheduling.” In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics.Google Scholar
- Kim, K., B.C. Poulon, C.J. Petrie, and V.R. Lesser. (2000). “Compensatory Negotiation for Agent-Based Project Schedule Coordination.” CIFE Working Paper #55. Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Lawler, E.L. (1973). “Optimal Sequencing of a Single Machine Subject to Precedence Constraints.” Management Science, 19, 544–546.Google Scholar
- Osborne, M.J. and A. Rubinstein. (1994). A Course in Game Theory. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- T’kindt, V. and J.C. Billaut. (2002). Multicriteria Scheduling. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar