A fast swap-based local search procedure for location problems
We present a new implementation of a widely used swap-based local search procedure for the p-median problem, proposed in 1968 by Teitz and Bart. Our method produces the same output as the best alternatives described in the literature and, even though its worst-case complexity is similar, it can be significantly faster in practice: speedups of up to three orders of magnitude were observed. We also show that our method can be easily adapted to handle the facility location problem and to implement related procedures, such as path-relinking and tabu search.
KeywordsLocal search p-Median Facility location Experimental analysis Reordering problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arya, V., N. Garg, R. Khandekar, A. Mayerson, K. Munagala, and V. Pandit. (2001). “Local Search Heuristics for k-Median and Facility Location Problems.” In Proc. 33rd ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing.Google Scholar
- Avella, P., A. Sassano, and I. Vasil’ev. (2003). “Computational Study of Large-Scale p-Median Problems.” Technical Report 08-03, DIS—Università di Roma ”La Sapienza”.Google Scholar
- Avella, P., A. Sassano, and I. Vasil’ev. (2003). “A Heuristic for Large-Scale p-Median Instances.” Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics, 13, 1–4.Google Scholar
- Cormen, T., C. Leiserson, R. Rivest, and C. Stein. (2001). Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd edn. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Cornuéjols, G., M.L. Fisher, and G.L. Nemhauser. (1977). “Location of Bank Accounts to Optimize Float: An Analytical Study of Exact and Approximate Algorithms.” Management Science, 23, 789–810.Google Scholar
- Galvão, R.D. (1980). “A Dual-Bounded Algorithm for the p-Median Problem.” Operations Research, 28, 1112–1121.Google Scholar
- Glover, F. (1996). “Tabu Search and Adaptive Memory Programming: Advances, Applications and Challenges.” In R.S. Barr, R.V. Helgason, and J.L. Kennington (eds.), Interfaces in Computer Science and Operations Research, Kluwer, pp. 1–75.Google Scholar
- Glover, F., M. Laguna, and R. Martí. (2000). “Fundamentals of Scatter Search and Path Relinking.” Control and Cybernetics, 39, 653–684.Google Scholar
- Goodchild, M.F. and V. Noronha. (1983). “Location-Allocation for Small Computers.” Monograph 8, Department of Geography, University of Iowa.Google Scholar
- Kuehn, A.A. and M.J. Hamburger. (1963). “A Heuristic Program for Locating Warehouses.” Management Science, 9(4), 643–666.Google Scholar
- Laguna, M. and R. Martí. (1999). “GRASP and Path Relinking for 2-Layer Straight Line Crossing Minimization.” INFORMS Journal on Computing, 11, 44–52.Google Scholar
- Reinelt, G. (1991). “TSPLIB: A Traveling Salesman Problem Library.” ORSA Journal on Computing, 3, 376–384. http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/groups/comopt/software/TSPLIB95/.
- Resende, M.G.C. and C.C. Ribeiro. (2005). “GRASP with Path-Relinking: Recent Advances and Applications.” In T. Ibaraki, K. Nonobe, and M. Yagiura (eds.), Metaheuristics: Progress as Real Problem Solvers, Kluwer. In press.Google Scholar
- Resende, M.G.C. and R.F. Werneck. (2003). “On the Implementation of a Swap-Based Local Search Procedure for the p-Median Problem.” In R.E. Ladner (ed.), Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments (ALENEX’03), SIAM, pp. 119–127.Google Scholar
- Senne, E.L.F. and L.A.N. Lorena. (2000). “Langrangean/Surrogate Heuristics for p-Median Problems.” In M. Laguna and J.L. González-Velarde (eds.), Computing Tools for Modeling, Optimization and Simulation: Interfaces in Computer Science and Operations Research, Kluwer, pp. 115–130.Google Scholar
- Senne, E.L.F. and L.A.N. Lorena. (2002). “Stabilizing Column Generation using Lagrangean/Surrogate Relaxation: An Application to p-Median Location Problems.” European Journal of Operational Research. To appear.Google Scholar
- Thorup M. (2001). “Quick k-Median, k-Center, and Facility Location for Sparse Graphs.” In Proceedings of the 28th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP 2001), Volume 2076 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, pp. 249–260.Google Scholar
- Voß, S. (1996). “A Reverse Elimination Approach for the p-Median Problem.” Studies in Locational Analysis, 8, 49–58.Google Scholar
- Whitaker, R. (1983). “A Fast Algorithm for the Greedy Interchange of Large-Scale Clustering and Median Location Prolems.” INFOR, 21, 95–108.Google Scholar