Algorithm robust for the bicriteria discrete optimization problem
- 194 Downloads
We apply Algorithm Robust to various problems in multiple objective discrete optimization. Algorithm Robust is a general procedure that is designed to solve bicriteria optimization problems. The algorithm performs a weight space search in which the weights are utilized in min-max type subproblems. In this paper, we experiment with Algorithm Robust on the bicriteria knapsack problem, the bicriteria assignment problem, and the bicriteria minimum cost network flow problem. We look at a heuristic variation that is based on controlling the weight space search and has an indirect control on the sample of efficient solutions generated. We then study another heuristic variation which generates samples of the efficient set with quality guarantees. We report results of computational experiments.
KeywordsMultiple objective optimization Robust optimization Efficient set Bicriteria discrete optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowman, V. J. (1975). “On the Relationship of the Tchebycheff Norm and the Efficient Frontier of Multiple Criteria Objectives.” Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, 130, 76–85.Google Scholar
- CPLEX (2002). ILOG Cplex 8.0. ILOG Inc.Google Scholar
- Ehrgott, M. (1997). Multiple Criteria Optimization: Classification and Methodology. Aaachen: Shaker Verlag.Google Scholar
- Ehrgott, M. (2000). Multiple Criteria Optimization, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Ehrgott, M. and X. Gandibleux. (2000). “An Annotated Bibliography of Multi-Objective Combinatorial Optimization.” OR Spektrum, 22(4), 425–460.Google Scholar
- Gupta, S.K. and J. Rosenhead. (1972). “Robustness in Sequential Investment Decisions.” Management Science, 15, 18–29.Google Scholar
- Kiziltan, G. and E. Yucaoglu. (1983). “An Algorithm for Multiobjective Zero-One Linear Programming.” Management Science, 29(12), 1444–1453.Google Scholar
- Kouvelis, P. and G. Yu. (1997). Robust Discrete Optimization and Its Applications. Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Steuer, R.E. (1982). “On Sampling the Efficient Set Using Weighted Tchebycheff Metrics.” In Proceedings of the Task Force Meeting on Multiobjective and Stochastic Optimization, IIASA, Laxenburg, Austria, pp. 335–351.Google Scholar