Global Solutions of the Perturbed Riemann Problem for the Chromatography Equations
The Riemann problem for the chromatography equations in a conservative form is considered. The global solution is obtained under the assumptions that the initial data are taken to be three piecewise constant states. The wave interaction problems are discussed in detail during the process of constructing global solutions to the perturbed Riemann problem. In addition, it can be observed that the Riemann solutions are stable under small perturbations of the Riemann initial data.
Key wordsRiemann problem chromatography equation wave interactions Temple class hyperbolic conservation laws
2010 MR Subject Classification35L65 35L45
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The frist author would like to express her gratitude to all those who helped her during the writing of this thesis.
- Rhee H K, Aris R, Amundson N R. First-Order Partial Differential Equations, Vol 1: Theory and Application of Single Equations. New York: Dover Publications, 2001Google Scholar
- Rhee H K, Aris R, Amundson N R. First-Order Partial Differential Equations, Vol 2: Theory and Application of Hyperbolic Systems of Quasilinear Equations. New York: Dover Publications, 2001Google Scholar
- Aris R, Amundson N. Mathematical Methods in Chemical Engineering, Vol 2. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1966Google Scholar
- Helfferich F, Klein G. Multicomponent Chromatography. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1970Google Scholar
- Keyfitz B L, Kranzer H C. A viscosity approximation to a system of conservation laws with no classical Riemann solution//Nonlinear Hyperbolic Problems, Bordeaux 1988. Lecture Notes in Math, Vol 1402. Berlin: Springer, 1989: 185–197Google Scholar
- Kranzer H C, Keyfitz B L. A strictly hyperbolic system of conservation laws admitting singular shocks//Nonlinear Evolution Equations that Change Type. IMA Vol Math Appl, Vol 27. New York: Springer, 1990: 107–125Google Scholar
- Chang T, Hsiao L. The Riemann problem and interaction of waves in gas dynamics//Pitman Monographs and Surveys in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol 41. Longman Scientific and Technical, 1989Google Scholar
- Serre D. Systems of Conversation Laws 1/2. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999/2000Google Scholar
- Bressan A. Hyperbolic Systems of Conservation Laws: The One-Dimensional Cauchy Problem. Oxford Lecture Ser Math Appl, Vol 20. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000Google Scholar