From bogtrotting to herding: a UCD perspective
- 71 Downloads
This is the third year in which a team from University College Dublin has participated in the Multi-Agent Programming Contest (http://www.multiagentcontest.org/2010). This paper describes the system that was created to participate in the contest, along with observations of the team’s experiences in the contest. The system itself was built using the AF-TeleoReactive and AF-AgentSpeak agent programming languages running on the Agent Factory platform. A hybrid control architecture inspired by the SoSAA strategy aided in the separation of concerns between low-level behaviours (such as movement and obstacle evasion) and higher-level planning and strategy.
KeywordsAgent contest 2010 Multi agent systems Agent factory Common language framework
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)68T42
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Collier, R.W.: Agent Factory: A Framework for the Engineering of Agent-Oriented Applications. PhD thesis, School of Computer Science and Informatics (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Dragone, M., Lillis, D., Collier, R.W., O’Hare, G.: SoSAA: A Framework for Integrating Components and Agents. SAC ‘09 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Dragone, M., Lillis, D., Muldoon, C., Tynan, R., Collier, R., O’Hare, G.: Dublin Bogtrotters: agent Herders. Programming Multi-Agent Systems, pp. 243–247 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Cohn, M.: User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development. Addison-Wesley Professional (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Poslad, S., Buckle, P., Hadingham, R.: The FIPA-OS agent platform: open source for open standards. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference and Exhibition on the Practical Application of Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agents, pp. 355–368 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Russell, S.E.: Teleo-reactive agents. Final Year Thesis, School of Computer Science and Informatics, University College DublinGoogle Scholar
- 8.Nilsson, N.: Teleo-reactive programs for agent control. J. Artif. Intell. Res. 1, 139–158 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Rao, A.: AgentSpeak (L): BDI agents speak out in a logical computable language. Agents Breaking Away, pp. 42–55 (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Ulrich, I., Borenstein, J.: Vfh+: Reliable obstacle avoidance for fast mobile robots. In: International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1572–1577. Leuven, Belgium (1998)Google Scholar