Optimization of thermal aware multilevel routing for 3D IC
- 10 Downloads
Due to the technological advancements, the three dimensional Integrated Circuits become the most popular technology. But it has the major drawback of increased time consumption as well power consumption. This happens because of the increased wire length and routing path for connecting the components in chip. Thus it is essential to reduce the wire length for the purpose of enhancing the circuit speed and minimize the power dissipation. But there may be a chance of temperature rise due to the heat generated by the slacked layers which also needs to be reduced. Several traditional approaches have addressed the issues of temperature rise and layer assignment. But the utilization of through-silicon-via is considered. Thus a new stochastic based genetic algorithm is proposed in this work for reducing the thermal estimations. Also the length of wire can be reduced by determining the minimal path so as to connect the components. Both partitioning and routing process takes place in this approach. The performance of the proposed approach is analyzed using ISPD2008 dataset. Also the results of this stochastic based model are compared with the existing algorithm. The superiority of this proposed approach is proved with reduced wire length and temperature estimations.
KeywordsThree dimensional integrated circuits Wire length estimation Temperature estimation Routing path Genetic algorithm
- 1.Das, S. S., & Bose, R. (2013). A genetic algorithm based approach for optimization of test time and TAM length For 3D SoC considering pre-bond test under the constraint on the number of TSVs. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), 3, 347–356.Google Scholar
- 2.Pandiaraj K., et al. (2017). Minimizationof wirelength in 3d IC routing by using differential evolution algorithm. In 2017 IEEE international conference on electrical, instrumentation and communication engineering (ICEICE) (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 3.Pandiaraj, K et al. (2017). Reduction of temperature rise in 3D IC routing. In 2017 IEEE international conference on electrical, instrumentation and communication engineering (ICEICE) (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 4.Osmolovskyi, S. et al. (2018). Optimal die placement for interposer-based 3D ICs. In Proceedings of the 23rd Asia and South Pacific design automation conference (pp. 513–520).Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, S. et al. (2018). Adaptive 3D-IC TSV fault tolerance structure generation. arXiv preprint arXiv:1803.02490.
- 7.Chen, G. et al. (2017). Minimizing thermal gradient and pumping power in 3D IC liquid cooling network design. In Proceedings of the 54th annual design automation conference 2017 (p. 70).Google Scholar
- 10.Yip, L. et al. (2017). Board level reliability optimization for 3D IC packages with extra large interposer. In 2017 IEEE 67th electronic components and technology conference (ECTC) (pp. 1269–1275).Google Scholar
- 11.Samal, S. K., et al. (2017). Improving performance under process and voltage variations in near-threshold computing using 3D ICs. ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems (JETC), 13, 59.Google Scholar
- 12.Abdallah, A. B. et al. (2017). A low-overhead fault tolerant technique for TSV-based interconnects in 3D-IC systems. In 2017 18th international conference on sciences and techniques of automatic control and computer engineering (STA) (pp. 179–184).Google Scholar
- 13.Ahmed, M. A. (2017). Early layout design exploration in TSV-based 3D integrated circuits. Dissertations and Theses. Paper 3617.Google Scholar
- 14.Mirzaie, N. et al. (2017). A performance-aware I/O interface for 3D stacked memory systems. In 2017 IEEE 8th annual ubiquitous computing, electronics and mobile communication conference (UEMCON) (pp. 369–371).Google Scholar
- 18.Manna, S. et al. (2015). Efficient VLSI routing optimization employing discrete differential evolution technique. In 2015 IEEE 2nd international conference on recent trends in information systems (ReTIS) (pp. 461–464).Google Scholar
- 20.Roy, D. et al. (2014). A thermal and congestion driven global router for 3D integrated circuits. In 2014 IEEE students’ technology symposium (TechSym) (pp. 303–308).Google Scholar
- 22.Yeh, H. -H. et al. (2013). Temperature rise minimization through simultaneous layer assignment and thermal through-silicon-via planning. In 2013 8th international microsystems, packaging, assembly and circuits technology conference (IMPACT) (pp. 207–210).Google Scholar
- 23.Alpert, C. J. (1998). The ISPD98 circuit benchmark suite. In Proceedings of the 1998 International Symposium on Physical Design.Google Scholar
- 24.ISPD 08 Benchmark dataset. http://www.ispd.cc/contests/08/ispd08rc.html.