High-precision voltage-to-current converters based on single-chip gain-selectable amplifiers
- 35 Downloads
A new application of single-chip gain-selectable amplifiers for Howland current pump circuits is here presented and discussed. LT199x integrated circuits, by Linear Technology, were used for the implementation of extremely accurate voltage-to-current conversion. Circuit performance was evaluated for resistive temperature-sensors biasing and signal conditioning. Experimental results highlight the excellent performance of the fabricated prototypes in terms of linearity and sensitivity. In addition, a ratiometric measurement method can be applied, ensuring virtual nulling of errors caused by the limited absolute accuracy of the voltage supply and/or the voltage reference used for the whole acquisition system.
KeywordsHowland current sources Voltage-to-current converters Gain-selectable amplifiers Resistive temperature sensors
- 1.Sheingold, D. H. (1964). Impedance and admittance transformations using operational amplifiers. Lightning Empiricist, 12(1), 1–8.Google Scholar
- 2.Harrison, L. T. (2005). Current sources & voltage references (Vol. 11). New York: Newnes, Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 3.Pelcia, M.M., dos Reis Filho, C.A. (2002). Fully integrated programmable Howland current source for sensors excitation. In Proceeding of 4th IEEE international caracas conference on devices, circuits and systems (pp. C028–CI-4) https://doi.org/10.1109/iccdcs.2002.1004016.
- 5.Murnane, M. (2008). Current sources: Options and circuits, AN-968, Analog Devices, Inc. Retrieved Jan 21, 2019 from https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an-968.pdf.
- 6.Zhao, N., Malik, R., & Liao, W. (2009). Difference amplifier forms heart of precision current sources. Analog Dialogue, 43(3), 22–24.Google Scholar
- 7.Salvatori, S. (2015). Gain-selectable IC yields voltage-to-current converter. EDN Europe, 7, 30–32.Google Scholar
- 8.LT1991, LT1995, and LT1996. Gain selectable amplifiers. Milpitas: Linear Technology. Retrieved Jan 21, 2019 from https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/1991fh.pdf, https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/1995fb.pdf, https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/1996f.pdf.
- 9.Hagart-Alexander, C. (2010). Chapter 21—Temperature measurement. In W. Boyes (Ed.), Instrumentation reference book (4th ed., pp. 287–288). Butterworth-Heinemann. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-7506-8308-1.00021-8.