Time-dependent dielectric breakdown (TDDB) reliability analysis of CMOS analog and radio frequency (RF) circuits
- 40 Downloads
In this paper, a methodology to analyze the time dependent dielectric breakdown (TDDB) reliability of CMOS analog and radio frequency (RF) circuits has been proposed and applied to common circuit building blocks, including an operational amplifier, a RF mixer, and a comparator. The analysis includes both finding the transistors in the circuit topology that are the most sensitive to TDDB degradation, as well as, observing the trends of TDDB degradation over a series of nanoscale process technologies for each building block. Analysis outcomes suggest that the TDDB degradation resilience goes up for operational amplifiers and comparators whereas it decreases for RF mixers as the device channel lengths come down. The trends have been explained on the basis of the circuit block topology and device physics.
KeywordsTime-dependent dielectric breakdown TDDB Analog circuits RF circuits Reliability analysis
- 3.Chen, J. S., & Ker, M. D. (2006). In 13th International symposium on the physical and failure analysis of integrated circuits, 2006 (pp. 45–48). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, K., & Milor, L. (2015). In 2015 20th international mixed-signal testing workshop (IMSTW) (pp. 1–6). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 7.Li, Q., Li, W., Zhang, J., & Yuan, J. S. (2002). In 2002 IEEE radio frequency integrated circuits (RFIC) symposium. Digest of papers (Cat. No.02CH37280) (pp. 399–402). https://doi.org/10.1109/RFIC.2002.1012076.
- 9.Yang, K., & Milor, L. (2015). In 2015 IEEE 20th international mixed-signals testing workshop (IMSTW) (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/IMS3TW.2015.7177872.
- 12.Saniç, M. T., & Yelten, M. B. (2017). In 2017 10th international conference on electrical and electronics engineering (ELECO) (pp. 476–480)Google Scholar
- 16.He, M., & Lu, T. M. (2012). Metal-dielectric interfaces in gigascale electronics: Thermal and electrical stability (Vol. 157). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 21.Cao, Y. (2006). Predictive technology models. http://www.ptm.asu.edu. Accessed September 3, 2017.
- 22.Hicks, J., Bergstrom, D., Hattendorf, M., Jopling, J., Maiz, J., Pae, S., et al. (2008). 45nm transistor reliability. Intel Technology Journal, 12(2), 1–16.Google Scholar
- 23.Pae, S., Ashok, A., Choi, J., Ghani, T., He, J., Lee, S. H., et al. (2010). In 2010 IEEE international reliability physics symposium (IRPS) (pp. 287–292). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 24.Ramey, S., Ashutosh, A., Auth, C., Clifford, J., Hattendorf, M., Hicks, J., et al. (2013). In 2013 IEEE internationalreliability physics symposium (IRPS) (pp. 4C–5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 25.Novak, S., Parker, C., Becher, D., Liu, M., Agostinelli, M., Chahal, M., et al. (2015). In 2015 IEEE international reliability physics symposium (pp. 2F.2.1–2F.2.5). https://doi.org/10.1109/IRPS.2015.7112692.
- 26.Razavi, B. (2012). RF microelectronics (international edition) (Prentice Hall Communications Engineering and Emerging Technologies Series) (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar