A software-defined radio FPGA implementation of OFDM-based PHY transceiver for 5G
- 508 Downloads
This paper introduces a software-defined radio implementation of an OFDM-based transceiver for the prototyping and testing of 5G physical layer algorithms. The implementation uses high level abstraction tools to develop and test the algorithms, significantly reducing the time and effort needed to test new features. The proposed architecture adopts interconnecting FIFOs between each functional block, reducing the critical paths and enabling complex designs to be implemented at higher clock rates. The proposed LTE-like transceiver is implemented using COTS FPGA and RF development boards. The real-time over-the-air demonstrator has an on-the-fly scalable bandwidth from 20 to 61.44 MHz, attaining close to 500 Mb/s when using 256-QAM modulation.
Keywords5G LTE OFDM SDR FPGA
This work was supported by the Portuguese Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT), through PURE-5GNET (UID/EEA/50008/2013) Project. The work of Carlos Ribeiro was financially supported by FCT/MEC and its funding program under the Postdoctoral Grant SFRH/BPD/104212/2014.
- 1.White Paper for Research Beyond 5G: Draft white paper. http://networld2020.eu/. October 2015.
- 2.5GNOW – 5th Generation Non-Orthogonal Waveforms for Asynchronous Signalling. http://www.5gnow.eu. 2015.
- 4.Wang, G., Yin, B., Amiri, K., Sun, Y., Wu, M., & Cavallaro, J. R. (2009, November). FPGA prototyping of a high data rate LTE uplink baseband receiver. In Signals, systems and computers, 2009 conference record of the forty-third asilomar conference on (pp. 248-252). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 5.Gupta, R., Vogel, T., Kundargi, N., Ekbal, A., Morelli, A., Mancuso, V., et al. (2014). LabVIEW based platform for prototyping dense LTE networks in CROWD project. In: European conference on networks and communications (pp. 1–5). June 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.Bates, D., Henriksen, S., Ninness, B., & Weller, S. (2008, Sept) A 4×4 FPGA-based wireless testbed for LTE application. In: Personal, indoor and mobile radio communications conference (pp. 1–5). September 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.López-Martínez, F. J., Castillo-Sánchez E., Martos-Naya, E., & Entrambasaguas, J. T. (2009). Design and FPGA implementation of an OFDMA baseband modem for 3GPP-LTE physical layer. In: International conference on consumer electronics (pp. 1–2). January 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.WARP: Wireless Open Access Research Platform. www.warpproject.org.
- 9.Mango Communications. www.mangocomm.com/. 2015.
- 10.LogiCORE IP Fast Fourier Transform v7.1, Xilinx Inc, March 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.van de Beek, J. J., Sandell, M., & Borjesson, P. O. (1997) ML estimation of timing and frequency offset in OFDM systems. In: IEEE transacions on signal processing (pp 1800–1805). July 1997.Google Scholar