Implementation of an SDR platform using GPU and its application to a 2 × 2 MIMO WiMAX system
Conventional communication systems have been implemented using digital signal processors (DSPs) and/or field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), especially for software defined radio (SDR) functionality. We propose a scheme that uses a graphics processing unit (GPU) in place of the conventional DSPs or FPGAs for the implementation of an SDR-based communication system. The GPU, a high-speed parallel processor with multiple arithmetic logic units, is adopted for the signal processing of the physical layer required for the parallel processing in an SDR system. The compute unified device architecture (CUDA) based on the C language provides a software development kit (SDK) for the modem application of the GPU. Therefore we utilize the CUDA SDK to implement the real-time modem function. This paper presents an implementation of a 2 × 2 multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) WiMAX system employing a GPU as the real-time modem. By installing a radio frequency module on top of the GPU modem, we implement a real-time transmission system for video data. The performance of the proposed GPU-based system is demonstrated by comparing its operation time against that of the conventional DSP-based system.
KeywordsSDR GPU CUDA WiMAX MIMO
- 4.IEEE Standards Activities Department. (2007, Dec) IEEE P802.16 Rev2/D2. DRAFT standard for local and metropolitan area networks. Air interface for broadband wireless access systems.Google Scholar
- 5.NVIDIA Corporation. (2008). NVIDIA CUDA Compute Unified Device Architecture Programming Guide version 2.0.Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE (2007, Dec) Std 802.16e-2005 IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air interface for broadband wireless access systems.Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, D., Eilert, J., Asghar, R., Liu, D., & Ge, M. (2010, April). VLSI implementation of a multi-standard MIMO symbol detector for 3GPP LTE and WiMAX. In: Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS).Google Scholar
- 11.Sklar, B. (2001). Digital communications—fundamentals and applications (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- 12.NVIDIA GTX 275 Datasheet, NVIDIA Corporation. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_275_us.html.
- 13.TI TMS320C6416 Datasheet, Texas Instruments Inc. http://datasheet.octopart.com/TMS320C6416-Texas-Instruments-datasheet-149441.pdf.
- 14.TMS320C6000 Optimizing Compiler v6.1 User’s Guide, Texas Instruments Inc., http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/spru187o.pdf.