Implementation of smart antenna API and transceiver API in software communication architecture for a wireless innovation forum standard
- 214 Downloads
This study presents an implementation of the standard smart antenna (SA) application programming interface (API) and Transceiver API developed by the wireless innovation forum’s (WINNF) smart antenna working group (SAWG). The API is implemented using the open-source SCA implementation-embedded (OSSIE) developed at Virginia Tech. Our implementation verified that the SA API can be utilized in software communication architecture (SCA)-based software defined radio (SDR) systems. We also verified that the Transceiver API can be realized with a real radio frequency (RF) transceiver module such as universal software radio peripheral2 (USRP2). The SA API enables various functions of multi-antenna systems such as beamforming and multiple input multiple output (MIMO) of spatial multiplexing. These are core technologies prevalent in 4G mobile communication systems. In order to support multi-antenna structures, the Transceiver API has first been extended for multichannel use. The paper details how the API is extended using OSSIE and the current status of the API as a standard within the Wireless Innovation Forum.
KeywordsSDR Smart antenna Transceiver SCA
- 1.Zhenyu Tu, Meng Yu, Iancu, D., Moudgill, M., & Glossner, J. (2009). On the performance of 3GPP LTE BB using SB3500. System-on-Chip, SOC 2009. International Symposium on, pp. 138–142.Google Scholar
- 2.Pulley, D. (2008). Multi-core DSP for base stations: Large and small. In Design Automation Conference, pp. 389–391.Google Scholar
- 4.PICMG. (2003). Advanced TCA short form specification, http://www.picmg.org/v2internal/resourcepage2.cfm?id=2.
- 5.PICMG. (2006). Micro TCA short form specification, http://www.picmg.org/v2internal/resourcepage2.cfm?id=5.
- 6.Open base station architecture initiative. (2006). OBSAI System specification V2.0. http://www.obsai.org.
- 7.Erricson, Huawei, NEC, Nokia Siemens, Alcatel-Lucent. (2010). CPRI Specification V4.2. http://www.cpri.info.
- 8.Joint program executive office. (2006). Software communication Architecture Specification V2.2.2. http://www.public.navy.mil/jpeojtrs/.
- 10.Henning, M., & Vinoski, S. (1999). Advanced CORBA programming with C++. Boston: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- 11.Object management group. (2007). PIM and PSM software radio components specification. http://www.omg.org/spec/SDRP/1.0/.
- 12.Mellor, S. J. (2004). MDA distilled, principles of model driven architecture. Boston: Addison-Wesley Professional.Google Scholar
- 13.Wireless innovation forum. (2009). PIM and PSM for smart antenna specification http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/1555.
- 14.Wireless innovation forum. (2009). Transceiver Facility Specification http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/1554.
- 16.Nicollet, E., & Pucker, L. (2008). Standardizing Transceiver APIs for software defined and cognitive radio. RF Design Magazine, February 16–20, 2008.Google Scholar