Recommendations for Implementing Tango Classes for Persons with Parkinson Disease
- 633 Downloads
Several studies have recently been published regarding the physical and emotional benefits of Argentine tango dance for individuals with Parkinson disease (PD). These papers focused on the effects of tango interventions rather than methods used to implement and deliver the interventions. The focus of the present paper is on methods for implementing PD-specific tango programs, to facilitate safe and appropriate implementation of community-based partnered dance programs for this population. We report successful methods for an Argentine Tango-based class, but these recommendations could be applicable to other partnered dances.
KeywordsParkinson disease Rehabilitation Dance Tango
This work was supported by the Marian Chace Foundation and the American Parkinson Disease Association.
- Federici, A., Bellagamba, S., & Rocchi, M. B. (2005). Does dance based training improve balance in adult and young old subjects? A pilot randomized controlled trial. Aging Clinical & Experimental Research, 17(5), 385–389.Google Scholar
- Goodill, S. W. (2005). An introduction to medical dance/movement therapy. London & Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hackney, M. E., & Earhart, G. M. (2009d). Effects of dance on gait and balance in Parkinson disease: A comparison of partnered and non-partnered dance movement. Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair. doi:10.1177/1545968309353329.
- Hackney, M. E., & Earhart G. M. (2009e). Effects of dance on balance and gait in severe Parkinson disease: A case study. Disability & Rehabilitation (in press).Google Scholar
- Macera, C. A., Ham, S. A., Yore, M. M., Jones, D. A., Ainsworth, B. E., Kimsey, C. D., et al. (2005). Prevalance of physical activity in the United States: Behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2001. Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice & Policy, 2(2), 1–10.Google Scholar
- McKinley, P., Jacobson, A., Leroux, A., Bednarczyk, V., Rossignol, M., & Fung, J. (2008). Effect of a community-based Argentine tango dance program on functional balance and confidence in older adults. Journal of Aging & Physical Activity, 16(4), 435–453.Google Scholar