Reluctance to Do Blood Testing Limits HIV Diagnosis and Appropriate Health Care of Sub-Saharan African Migrants Living in Spain
- 205 Downloads
This study investigates the reasons why sub-Saharan African migrants (SSAM) living in Spain may be unwilling to have their blood tested. A qualitative study was developed for 3 years (2006–2009) with the participation of 1338 SSAM. Cultural differences along with lack of information about Spanish health care system and health-related rights produced a feeling of mistrust towards medical staff. Reluctance to do blood testing may prevent SSAM from having a prompt HIV diagnosis and an appropriate health care. Linguistically and culturally adapted information is essential to overcome these barriers and achieve an equal access to health care services and HIV testing.
KeywordsBlood test Sub-Saharan Africa Migrants Ethnography HIV/AIDS
This work has been funded by the Spanish Ministry of Health and Social Policy (Programas para prevención y control del VIH/SIDA) and the Red de Investigación de Centros de Enfermedades Tropicales (RICET) RED: RD06/0021/0020. The authors thank nurse and anthropologist Sandra Cano, Doctor Lara Repeto and all NGOs that kindly provided us appropriate spaces to carry out the interviews and focus groups.
- 2.Médicos del Mundo. Inmigración y salud (Sep 2009) [Immigration and health (Sep 2009)]. https://www.medicosdelmundo.org/NSTR/NSTRPPu/pagina/REVISTAsept09.pdf. Accessed Oct 2009.
- 4.Instituto de Salud Carlos III. Situación epidemiológica del VIH/SIDA en inmigrantes (Agosto 2009). [HIV/AIDS epidemiological situation in immigrants (August 2009)]. http://www.isciii.es/htdocs/pdf/inmigrantes.pdf. Accessed Nov 2009.
- 5.Gard P. A behavioural approach to pharmacy practice. Oxford: Blackwell Science; 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.BOE de 12 enero de 2000, núm. 10. [Official State Bulletin, 10 January 2000, no. 10]. Ley orgánica 4/2000, de 11 de enero, sobre derechos y libertades de los extranjeros en España y su integración social [Organic Law 4/2000, from 11 January, of rights and duties of foreign citizens in Spain and their social integration].Google Scholar
- 8.Bogart L, Glavan F, Wagner G, Klein D. Association of HIV conspiracy beliefs with sexual risk among black males living with HIV. AIDS Behav. 2010. doi: 10.1007/s10461-010-9796-7.