Risky Sexual Behavior and Correlates of STD Prevalence Among African American HIV Serodiscordant Couples
- First Online:
- 186 Downloads
This paper reports baseline behavioral and biological data collected from a cohort of 535 African American HIV serodiscordant couples enrolled in the Eban study across four urban metro areas. Data were collected on (1) the prevalence of risky sexual behaviors that occur within a couple and with concurrent sexual partners, (2) the STD prevalence for each member of the couple and (3) the correlates of STDs in the male partner as well as in the female partner. Presentation of the sociodemographic characterization and HIV risk behavior profiles of African American HIV serodiscordant couples represents an important initial description of a hidden, vulnerable population. Future research should be conducted with diverse samples of African American couples (i.e., younger couples, non-stable couples) to explore other potential correlates of STD prevalence.
KeywordsHIV Serodiscordant African-American couples
- 1.Weller SC, Davis-Beaty K. Condom effectiveness in reducing heterosexual HIV transmission. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(Issue 1):Art. No.:CD003255.Google Scholar
- 5.Hunt WK, Myers HF, Dyche M. Living with risk: Male partners of HIV-positive women. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 1999;5(3):276–286. http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/cdp/5/3/276/.
- 10.Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC). Primary, secondary syphilis—United States, 1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001;50(7):113–7.Google Scholar
- 11.Bellamy SL, NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Study Group. A dynamic block-randomization algorithm for group-randomized clinical trials when the composition of blocking factors is not known in advance. Contemp Clin Trials. 2005;26(4):469–79. doi:10.1016/j.cct.2005.02.005.
- 14.The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Multisite HIV Prevention Trial Group. The NIMH Multisite HIV Prevention Trial: reducing HIV sexual risk behavior. Science. 1998;280(5371):1889–94.Google Scholar
- 15.NIMH Collaborative HIV/STD Prevention Trial Group. Challenges and processes of selecting outcome measures for the NIMH Collaborative HIV/STD Prevention Trial. AIDS. 2007;21(Suppl 2):S29–36.Google Scholar
- 21.SAS Institute. SAS 9.1.3 help and documentation. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc; 2008.Google Scholar